Because of its proximity to Charlotte, North Carolina, portions of York County, South Carolina have been designated as a nonattainment area for the 1997 ground-level ozone standard. Section 182(a)(3)(B) of the Clean Air Act requires South Carolina's State Implementation Plan (SIP) to contain a requirement for all owners or operators of stationary sources located in the nonattainment area that emit either NOX or VOC to submit a statement of actual emissions annually.
As a result, all Bureau of Air Quality permitted facilities inside the nonattainment area of York County, SC (pdf) are required to report NOX and VOC emissions using DHEC's Emissions Statement form (pdf). Documents and guidance found below are intended to assist you in calculating your emissions and submitting the information to DHEC.
These statements shall be submitted to the manager of the Emissions Inventory Section of the Bureau of Air Quality on or before March 31 of each year.
If your facility has a Bureau of Air Quality permit and it is located within the purple boundary on the map below, you are required to submit an Emissions Statement.
Questions regarding your facility's location within the nonattainment area can be directed to:
DHEC has developed documents to assist facilities in preparing their Emissions Statements. Your facility's Emission Statement shall be submitted using the appropriate DHEC form. The form will need to include the following information:
- Facility Information (Facility Name, Bureau of Air Quality Permit Number, and Physical Location Address)
- Facility Contact Information (Emissions Contact Name, Mailing Address, Phone Number, Fax Number, and Email Address)
- Facility Billing Information (Billing Name, Mailing Address, Phone Number, Fax Number, and Email Address)
- NOX and VOC Emissions Estimates *
- Signature attesting to accuracy of information
* A NOX-VOC Emission Calculator for Fuel Combustion Spreadsheet (xls) has been developed to assist your facility in calculating estimated emissions. Please contact Larry Bunn in the Emission Inventory Section at (803)898-4301 for additional assistance with this spreadsheet.
DHEC will mail out the required form (pdf) to affected facilities in mid-January of each year, along with a reminder to submit their annual Emission Statements by March 31 of each year.
Facilities need to mail their completed Emissions Statement (pdf) to the following address by March 31 of each year:
Manager, Emissions Inventory Section
Bureau of Air Quality
2600 Bull Street
Columbia, SC 29201
- All regulated air pollutant emissions
- Separated by individual processes
- Title V sources only, unless otherwise requested
- Reporting schedules vary, depending on types of facilities
- NOX and VOC only
- Facility-wide totals, NOT by individual processes
- Required of all Bureau of Air Quality permitted facilities in the nonattainment area
- Reporting on an annual schedule for all facilities
Any questions or concerns related to the submittal of these special reporting requirements for ozone nonattainment areas can be sent to: