Hot mix, warm mix, and cold mix asphalt plants may be eligible for a general permit if they only operate asphalt concrete production and the only sources of emissions, besides exempt equipment, are:
- systems for drying aggregate;
- systems for screening, handling, storing, and weighing hot aggregate;
- systems for receiving, storing, and transferring virgin aggregate;
- systems for receiving, crushing, screening, storing and transferring non-virgin aggregate;
- systems for receiving, storing, and transferring asphalt cement;
- systems for mixing aggregate with asphalt cement;
- systems for the storing and dispensing of asphalt;
- asphalt cement and fuel storage tanks;
- auxiliary heaters (including hot oil heaters) with a heat input rate less than million each; and
- associated emission control systems.
- The facility is limited to hot mix asphaltic concrete production or other DOT approved methods as allowed in the permit
- The maximum size for a single auxiliary heater (including hot oil heaters) is limited to less than 10 million BTU/hr rated input capacity.
- All fuel fired sources at the facility are limited to using natural gas, propane, liquefied petroleum gas, fuel oil and/or recycled oil (with written approval from the Department) as fuel.
- The emissions from all Batch Mix plants (pug mills) must be ducted to the dust control system and Baghouse
List of Asphalt Plants currently covered by a General Permit for Asphalt Plants
Interactive Map of Asphalt Plants
Emission Estimator Tools/Guidance:
Copy of the Permits:
**Note that these copies are provided for use by facilities that have already been granted coverage by the Bureau. Download and use of these permits does not constitute coverage.**
For more information please contact:
David Meekins - 803-898-7220