Skip to content

Concrete Plants

Concrete batch plants, concrete block production facilities, and pug mills may be eligible for the industry specific General Construction Permit and the General State Operating or General Conditional Major Operating Permit if the facility is comprised of one or any combination of the following:

  • sand and aggregate storage;
  • sand and aggregate transfer to elevated bin;
  • cement and/or cement supplement loading;
  • weigh hopper loading;
  • truck loading, central mixer loading, and/or pug mixer loading;
  • loading, transfer or storage associated with emission control systems; and
  • boilers or other fuel combustion devices less than 30 million BTU per hour

See an interactive map of concrete plants.

What is the Major Source Threshold for Coverage Under the General State Operating Permit for Concrete Plants?

To qualify for coverage under the General State Operating Permit for Concrete Plants, potential uncontrolled emissions must be below major source thresholds. In general, plants rated less than the following capacities (using the manufacturer's maximum rated plant capacity) qualify for coverage under this permit:

  • Truck Mix = 164 yd3/hr
  • Central Mix = 294 yd3/hr
  • Pugmill = 308 yd3/hr

If your plant exceeds these thresholds, please contact the BAQ for assistance in determining your permitting status.

What Are My Recordkeeping Requirements?

The following records, as applicable, must be maintained on site, in written or electronic logs, for at least five (5) years. Each facility covered under the General Permitting Program for Concrete Plants should refer to its permit for detailed recordkeeping requirements. 
Please note:

Please note:

    • Plants with fuel burning sources may be subject to additional recordkeeping requirements.
    • Plants covered under the General Conditional Major Operating Permit for Concrete Plants have reporting requirements in addition to the recordkeeping requirements outlined below.

What must I record?

How often should I record?

Concrete Production in cubic yards


Truck and/or mixer load-out inspections


Bag/cartridge filter maintenance

As bags/cartridges are replaced

System pressure drop measurements


Visual inspection of silo control devices

Daily facility inspection or when the silo is loaded, whichever is lesser

What Must I Do if I Want to Relocate My Plant?

  • Notify the Department within 30 days of relocation,
    • if relocating the plant to another site in South Carolina that is not co-located with another facility; or
    • if relocating the plant to a storage site; or
    • if moving your plant out of state
  • Request Department approval prior to moving your plant to another site in SC that is co-located with another facility.

General Construction:

If the operations covered by construction permits are located in one of the eight coastal counties of the Coastal Zone under DHEC-OCRM's jurisdiction (Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Georgetown, Horry and Jasper), then a coastal zone consistency certification may be required.

General State OP:

General Conditional Major:

**Note that these copies are provided for use by facilities that have already been granted coverage by the Bureau. Download and use of these permits does not constitute coverage.**


Emissions / Reporting Tools:


For more information please contact:

Hetal Patel - 803-898-03850