Services for Children with Special Health Care Needs
Orthodontic and related services are available to children with conditions of the face, jaw, mouth or teeth that affect normal functioning. Program services are limited to children with severe impairments that will lead to worsening health conditions if not corrected. Unfortunately, we cannot assist all children who may benefit from orthodontic treatment.
- U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency
- South Carolina residency
- Initial approval for services made before age 16
- Household income at or below 250% Federal Poverty Level (pdf) or Medicaid coverage
- An orthodontist must determine presence of a functional impairment that meets qualifications established by DHEC. Eligibility must be confirmed the DHEC Division of Children with Special Health Care Needs orthodontic consultant.
- Payment for recommended orthodontic treatment
- Payment for dental or other services needed in addition to orthodontic treatment to correct the functional impairment
- Monitoring progress with child and parent or guardian to assure best possible outcomes.
How to Apply
Contact nearest regional CSHCN office for detailed information and instructions.
If you have questions about getting services for your child with special needs, please contact us.
- Oral Health for Families with Special Health Care Needs (pdf)
This resource guide was developed by the DHEC'S Division of Oral Health and MUSC College of Dental Medicne through funding from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The booklet is designed to give parents and caregivers tips on keeping their child's or teen's mouth healthy taking into account the challenges that exist for those with special needs. In addition to parents, the booklet would also be a good resource for schools, homeschool associations, parent and community outreach programs as well dental and medical offices. A Spanish version of the guide is also available.
Info for Health care Providers
For more information, email Children with Special Health Care Needs, call us at (803) 898-0784 or visit us at one of our statewide locations. See a brief description of the work performed by DHEC's Children/Teens with Special Health Care Needs Program.