Heart Disease in South Carolina
Heart disease is South Carolina's second leading cause of death:
- 9,277 – The number of people who died from heart disease in South Carolina in 2012.
- 52,593 – The number of hospitalizations due to heart disease in South Carolina in 2012.
- $2.926 billion – The total cost of hospitalizations due to heart disease in SC during 2012.
What is heart disease?
Heart disease is a broad term that refers to several types of heart conditions. The most common type of heart disease in the United States is coronary artery disease, which can cause heart attack, arrhythmias, angina, and heart failure.
Ways to prevent heart disease:
- Stop smoking
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Get regular health screenings:
- Limit alcohol use
- Take your medicine
- Manage your diabetes
- Eat a healthy diet that’s low in fat, cholesterol and salt
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week
Staff Phone, Email Info | DHEC Locations | Organizational Chart | Take Our Survey