Immunization Registry Data – Electronic Submission
Under the South Carolina Immunization Registry Regulation, all health care providers who perform immunizations in the state of South Carolina are required to submit immunization data.
Submitting immunization data electronically to immunization registries or immunization information systems is one way your health care organization can help demonstrate meaningful use.
The South Carolina Immunization Provider Access System (SCI PAS) is a web portal that serves, in part, as the gateway to the South Carolina Immunization Registry (SCI Registry). The SCI Registry:
- Is designed to consolidate a resident of South Carolina's immunization records from multiple providers into one complete, accurate and definitive immunization record
- Receives data from hospital systems, local health departments, private providers, Medicaid, and schools
- Is intended to give health professionals the tools needed to make sound medical decisions
- Helps provide updated recommendations for immunization scheduling based on CDC recommendations
- Helps Vaccines for Children (VFC) providers streamline vaccine management and improve accountability.
Required Formats for Data Submission
Sending information to DHEC electronically does not by itself satisfy the Meaningful Use criteria. The information must be sent in according to nationally established formatting standards that have been devised to optimize the exchange of health-related information between healthcare information systems. Files should be validated using one or both of the following tools NIST HL-7 2.3.1/2.5.1 Validation Tool or CDC's Message Quality Framework (MQF)
- For Stage 1 Meaningful Use attestation of Immunization Registry with DHEC, please send an email stating your facility name, address and contact information. In your email please specify that you are looking for Stage 1 Meaningful Use Attestation. Attach your test file to the email and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DHEC's Immunization Division will send you an e-mail acknowledging submission of a test file and whether or not the test was successful.
- For Stage 2 Meaningful Use, S.C. DHEC requires that the provider validate their files using one or both of the following tools NIST HL-7 2.3.1/2.5.1 Validation Tool or CDC's Message Quality Framework (MQF) before proceeding. Once the provider's files have passed the validation tools without errors the provider should then contact DHEC at email@example.com. stating your facility name, address and contact information. In your email please specify that you are looking for Stage 2 Meaningful Use. Currently DHEC IS able to accept Stage 2 MU VXU messages in HL-7 2.3.1 and HL-7 2.5.1 format.
If requested, DHEC's Immunization Division will send an e-mail acknowledging on-going submission of production data to the immunization registry.
Contact us about submission of Immunization Registry Data by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (866) 439-4082 (select option 2, Immunization Registry).
Staff Phone, Email Info | DHEC Locations | Organizational Charts