Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity
S.C. Obesity Prevention Initiatives
Some documents below are in pdf format.
ABC Grow Healthy
Department of Social Services ABC Grow Healthy - ABC Child Care, South Carolina's Quality Improvement System
at the S.C. Department of Social Services Division of Early Care and Education, promotes Grow Healthy standards
for all child care programs participating in the ABC system. These standards address nutrition and physical
activity best practices for child care centers.
- Move More…It's in the Cards - Move More…It's In the Cards
provides teachers with an easy to use resource for leading children in physical activity. Each card describes an
activity that teachers can use to help children meet the daily recommended amount of structured physical
activity. This tool can be used to increase the amount and variety of children's movement opportunities and can
reinforce concepts being taught in the classroom.
- The Role and Value of Portable Play Equipment in the Child Care
Center - The Role and Value of Portable Play Equipment in the Child Care Center provides a brief explanation
on the importance of portable play equipment in the child care setting.
Access to Healthy Foods
- S.C. Fruit and Vegetable Outlets -This map provides
information on farmers' markets and farm stands located in the state of South Carolina.
- Growing Food & Opportunities in South Carolina - Growing Food & Opportunities in South
Carolina is a report published by the S.C. Food Policy Council to capture the results of the 2012 workshop,
"Growing Food & Opportunities in S.C.: Economic & Community Development through Healthy Food Access" and
includes recommendations for the next steps forward in addressing and moving towards the elimination of food
deserts in South Carolina.
- S.C. Fruit and Vegetable Outlet Inventory Overview - The
S.C. Fruit and Vegetable Outlet Inventory Overview showcases the findings from a statewide inventory of farmers'
markets and farm stands in South Carolina in 2015.
to Healthy Food in South Carolina: A Report by the S.C. Food Access Task - Access to Healthy Food in South
Carolina: A Report by the SC Food Access Task Force includes five key recommendations for state and local
leaders that will enhance the supply of healthy, affordable food in every community.
- S.C. Farm to Institution: - South Carolina Farm to Institution
works collaboratively to connect farmers with schools (k-12), preschools, hospitals, colleges and other
institutions to strengthen our food system by increasing the amount of South Carolina grown and processed foods
served in our state, while providing opportunities for health and agriculture education.
- S.C. Food Policy Council - The South Carolina Food Policy Council
supports the sustainability of our state's food sector enterprises and the health of our communities.
- S.C. Food Access Task Force - The goal of the S.C. Food Access Task
Force is to expand the availability of nutritious food by developing and equipping food retail and wholesale
outlets selling healthy food, including but not limited to grocery stores, corner stores, farmers' markets, food
hubs, and mobile markets.
Active Community Environments
Active Community Environments Special Project
Open Community Use
S.C. Health + Planning
The S.C. Health + Planning Advisory Committee - The S.C. Health + Planning Advisory Committee was formed in 2013 to
address healthy eating and active living through community planning on a statewide scale. The purpose of the
committee is to connect health and planning in South Carolina.
- S.C. Health + Planning Toolkit
- The S.C. Health + Planning Toolkit is a healthy eating and active living policy guide for planning and
public health in South Carolina.
- S.C. Healthy Comprehensive Planning Project Baseline Report
- The S.C. Healthy Comprehensive Planning Project Baseline Report provides evaluation results of the project and
creates a baseline measurement of healthy eating and active living principles in county comprehensive plans
across the state.
Links to additional resources
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation: Founded by the American
Heart Association and Clinton Foundation, Alliance for a Healthier Generation is a collaborative change-maker
working to create a nation where children thrive. We collaborate with and empower people and leaders to
transform the environments that can make a difference in a child's health: homes, schools, doctor's offices and
- Eat Smart Move More S.C.: The S.C. Eat Smart Move More Coalition
coordinates obesity prevention efforts across the state.
- Let's Go S.C.: Communities across South Carolina are making it easier for
people to eat healthier and get moving. You can find information here that will help you eat smart, move more,
and take advantage of your community's parks, trails, farmers' markets, and other resources.
- SCaledown: SCaledown.org is the place to educate, engage, and mobilize
partners to help make the healthy choice the easy choice for South Carolinians. This site houses the
SouthCarolina Obesity Action Plan, a tactical plan that aims to build on the success of previous efforts and
offers new strategies to reduce obesity rates in the Palmetto State.
- Working Well: The goal of Working Well is to help employers
create a sustainable culture of wellness around four key pillars by using effective, evidence-based best
practices to create worksites where the healthy choice is the easy choice.