2015 BRFSS Annual Survey Results
*For tables or stratifications not posted here, contact BRFSS Coordinator, Chelsea Lynes (firstname.lastname@example.org - (803) 898-1047).
*Nine DHEC Regions
used in 2015
CDC Core Questions
- Health Status
- Would you say that in general your health
- Healthy Days — Health-Related Quality of Life
- For how many days during the past 30 days was your physical health not good?
- For how many days during the past 30 days was your mental health not good?
- During the past 30 days, for about how many days did poor physical or mental health keep you from doing your
usual activities, such as self-care, work, or recreation?
- Health Care Access
- Do you have any kind of health care
health insurance, prepaid plans such as HMOs, government plans such as Medicare, or Indian Health
- Do you have one person you think of as your personal doctor or health care provider?
- Was there a time in the past 12 months when you needed to see a doctor but could not because of cost?
- Hypertension Awareness
- Have you EVER been told by a doctor,
nurse, or other
health professional that you have high blood pressure?
- Are you current taking medicine for your high blood pressure?
- Cholesterol Awareness
- Have you EVER had your blood cholesterol checked?
- About how long has it been since you last had your blood cholesterol checked?
- Have you EVER been told by a doctor, nurse
or other health
professional that your blood cholesterol is high?
- Chronic Health Conditions
- (Ever told) you that you had a heart
attack also called a
- (Ever told) you had angina or coronary
- (Ever told) you had a stroke?
- (Ever told) you had asthma?
- Do you still have asthma?
- (Ever told) you had skin cancer?
- (Ever told) you had any other types of cancer?
- (Ever told) you have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or COPD, emphysema or chronic bronchitis?
- (Ever told) you have some form of arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, lupus, or fibromyalgia?
- (Ever told) you have a depressive disorder, including depression, major depression, dysthymia, or minor
- (Ever told) you have kidney disease?
- (Ever told) you have diabetes?
- How old were you when you were told you have diabetes?
- Do you own or rent your home?
- Have you ever served on active duty in the United States Armed Forces, either in the regular military or in
a National Guard or military reserve unit?
- Employment status
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Are you limited in any way in any activities because of physical, mental, or emotional problems?
- Do you now have any health problem that requires you to use special equipment, such as a cane, a wheelchair,
a special bed, or a special telephone?
- Are you blind or do you have serious difficulty seeing, even when wearing glasses?
- Because of a physical, mental, or emotional condition, do you have serious difficulty concentrating,
remembering, or making decisions?
- Do you have serious difficulty walking or climbing stairs?
- Do you have difficulty dressing or bathing?
- Because of a physical, mental, or emotional condition, do you have difficulty doing errands alone such as
visiting a doctor's office or shopping?
- Tobacco Use
- Have you smoked at least 100 cigarettes in your entire life?
- Over your lifetime, how many years have you smoked tobacco products?
- Do you now smoke cigarettes every day, some days, or not at all?
- During the past 12 months, have you stopped smoking for one day or longer because you were trying to quit
- How long has it been since you last smoked a cigarette, even one or two puffs?
- Current smoking status
- Do you currently use chewing tobacco, snuff, or snus every day, some days, or not at all?
- Alcohol Consumption
- During the past 30 days, how many days per week or per month did you have at least one drink of any
alcoholic beverage such as beer, wine, a malt beverage or liquor?
- During the past 30 days, on the days when you drank, about how many drinks did you drink on the average?
- Binge drinking (men)
- Binge drinking (women)
- Fruits and Vegetables
- During the past month, how many times per day, week or month did you drink 100% PURE fruit juices?
- During the past month, not counting juice, how many times per day, week, or month did you eat fruit?
- During the past month, how many times per day, week, or month did you eat cooked or canned beans, such as
refried, baked, black, garbanzo beans, beans in soup, soybeans, edamame, tofu or lentils?
- During the past month, how many times per day, week, or month did you eat dark green vegetables for example
broccoli or dark leafy greens including romaine, chard, collard greens or spinach?
- During the past month, how many times per day, week, or month did you eat orange colored vegetables such as
sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squash, or carrots?
- Not counting what you just told me about, during the past month, about how many times per day, week, or
month did you eat OTHER vegetables?
- Exercise (Physical Activity)
- During the past month, other than your
regular job, did
you participate in any physical activities or exercises such as running, calisthenics, golf, gardening, or
walking for exercise?
- What type of physical activity or exercise did you spend the most time doing during the past month?
- How many times per week or per month did you take part in this activity during the past month?
- And when you took part in this activity, for how many minutes or hours did you usually keep at it?
- What other type of physical activity gave you the next most exercise during the past month?
- During the past month, how many times per week or per month did you do physical activities or exercises to
STRENGTHEN your muscles?
- Adults that meet recommendation of 150
vigorous equivalent minutes) of physical activity per week
- Arthritis Burden
- Are you now limited in any way in any of your usual activities because of arthritis or joint symptoms?
- Do arthritis or joint symptoms now affect whether you work, the type of work you do, or the amount of work
- During the past 30 days, to what extent has your arthritis or joint symptoms interfered with your normal
social activities, such as going shopping, to the movies, or to religious or social gatherings?
- DURING THE PAST 30 DAYS, how bad was your joint pain ON AVERAGE?
- Seatbelt Use
- How often do you use seat belts when you drive or ride in a car?
- During the past 12 months, have you had
either a flu shot
or a flu vaccine that was sprayed in your nose?
- During what month and year did you receive your most recent flu shot injected into your arm or flu vaccine
that was sprayed in your nose?
- At what kind of place did you get your last flu shot/vaccine?
- Have you ever had a pneumonia shot?
- Have you ever been tested for HIV?
- Not including blood donations, in what month and year was your last HIV test?
- Where did you have your last HIV test — at a private doctor or HMO office, at a counseling and testing site,
at an emergency room, as an inpatient in a hospital, at a clinic, in a jail or prison, at a drug treatment
facility, at home, or somewhere else?
CDC Optional Modules
- Have you had a test for high blood sugar or diabetes within the past three years?
- Have you ever been told by a doctor or other health professional that you have pre-diabetes or borderline
- Are you now taking insulin?
- About how often do you check your blood for glucose or sugar?
- About how often do you check your feet for any sores or irritations?
- About how many times in the past 12 months have you seen a doctor, nurse, or other health professional for
- A test for "A one C" measures the average level of blood sugar over the past three months. About how many
times in the past 12 months has a doctor, nurse, or other health professional checked you for "A one C"?
- About how many times in the past 12 months has a health professional checked your feet for any sores or
- When was the last time you had an eye exam in which the pupils were dilated?
- Has a doctor ever told you that diabetes has affected your eyes or that you had retinopathy?
- Have you ever taken a course or class in how to manage your diabetes yourself?
- During the past 30 days, did you provide regular care or assistance to a friend or family member who has a
health problem or disability?
- What is his or her relationship to you?
- For how long have you provided care for that person?
- In an average week, how many hours do you provide care or assistance?
- What is the main health problem, long-term illness, or disability that the person you care for has?
- In the past 30 days, did you provide care for this person by…
- …Managing personal care such as giving medications, feeding, dressing, or bathing?
- …Managing household tasks such as cleaning, managing money, or preparing meals?
- Of the following support services, which one do you MOST need, that you are not currently getting?
- In the next 2 years, do you expect to provide care or assistance to a friend or family member who has a
health problem or disability?
- Arthritis Management
- Thinking about your arthritis or joint symptoms, which of the following best describes you today?
- Has a doctor or other health professional EVER suggested losing weight to help your arthritis or joint
- Has a doctor or other health professional ever suggested physical activity or exercise to help your
arthritis or joint symptoms?
- Have you EVER taken an educational course or class to teach you how to manage problems related to your
arthritis or joint symptoms?
- Tetanus Diphtheria (Tdap) (Adults)
- Since 2005, have you had a tetanus shot?
- Adult Human Papillomavirus (HPV) - Vaccination
- Have you EVER had an HPV vaccination?
- How many HPV shots did you receive?
- Shingles (Zostavax or ZOS)
- Have you ever had the shingles or zoster vaccine?
State Added Questions
- A mammogram is an X-ray of each breast to look for breast cancer. How long has it been since you had your
- How long has it been since you had your last Pap test?
- Do problems with physical access to buildings or medical equipment such as height adjustable exam tables,
wheelchair accessible scales or mammography machines limit your access to health care services?
- In the past 12 months, have you participated in any health or wellness programs designed for the general
- And in the past 12 months, have you participated in any health or wellness programs designed specifically
for people with disabilities?
- In the event of a large-scale disaster or emergency which of the following do you have in place…
- An emergency supply kit, including items such as water, flashlight or batteries?
- A disaster evacuation plan, including how to get out of your house or town and where you would go?
- During the past 30 days, how often do you feel short of breath - would you say all of the time, most of the
time, some of the time, a little of the time, or none of the time?
- How often do you cough up mucus or phlegm?
- How much do you agree or disagree with the following statement: "In the past 12 months, I am not as
physically active as I once was because of my shortness of breath?"
- Adverse Childhood Events
- All questions refer to the time period before you were 18 years of age. Now, looking back before you were 18
years of age…
- Did you live with anyone who was depressed, mentally ill, or suicidal?
- Did you live with anyone who was a problem drinker or alcoholic?
- Did you live with anyone who used illegal street drugs or who abused prescription medications?
- Did you live with anyone who served time or was sentenced to serve time in a prison, jail, or other
- Were your parents separated or divorced?
- How often did your parents or adults in your home ever slap, hit, kick, punch, or beat each other up?
- How often did a parent or adult in your home ever hit, beat, kick, or physically hurt you in any way?
- How often did a parent or adult in your home ever swear at you, insult you, or put you down?
- How often did anyone at least five years older than you or an adult ever touch you sexually?
- How often did anyone at least five years older than you or an adult try to make you touch them
- How often did anyone at least five years older than you or an adult force you to have sex?
- Random Child Selection/Children's Health Assessment Survey script
- Learn more about our call-back survey.