How To Apply
By doing your part for the environment, you could win $2000 and a 30-second TV commercial!
- Up to eight Champions of the Environment grants are awarded each school year. Smaller Merit and Seedling awards are available for runner-up projects. Winners are selected based on the quality of their environmental projects.
- Projects must address one or more of the following: prevention or reduction of pollution in the air, water or land; waste reduction; restoration, preservation or enhancement of natural areas; water or energy efficiency. Projects must also educate the community and make a lasting difference to the environment.
Who Is Eligible?
- K-12 students, their teachers, and environmental educators carrying out an environmental project in South Carolina.
- One student or a student group of any size. Applicants that educate K-12 students outside of a formal classroom setting (such as an environmental education center) are encouraged to partner with a school, classroom, or teacher.
- A cash award of $2000 to use for their project
- A 30-second TV commercial featuring their project
- Their project highlighted on the Champions' website
Merit And Seedling Awardees Receive:
- A smaller cash award to use for their project
Note: no additional application is needed to be considered for a Merit or Seedling award.
To Apply For A Champions' Grant:
- The 2014-2015 Champions of the Environment application period has closed. We will begin accepting applications again in August of 2015.
- Print the Champions of the Environment Grant Application Help Sheet for instructions on how to complete the application.
- Electronically submit the completed Champions of the Environment Grant Award Application.
- If you have any questions, or have trouble accessing the Grant Award Application, email the Champions' coordinator , or call 803-898-4183.
- Fill out the application and tell us about your environmental project. Be sure to supply all the requested information. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- If your application is submitted after the posted deadline it will not be considered.
- Applicants who are not chosen to receive a grant award are encouraged to revise their application and apply to Champions of the Environment again.
How Are Champion's Grant Winners Choosen?
Projects seeking funding through a Champions' grant are evaluated on the degree to which they satisfy the following criteria.
- Benefits to the environment – positive outcomes for the environment through one issue or cumulatively through multiple issues
- Sustainability / long-term environmental benefits – ability to sustain the project and/or sustain the environmental benefit or education gained through the project
- Student education – learning opportunities
- Student involvement – as appropriate for the age, skill level of the students
- Outreach – education (and involvement) of those involved with and outside the project - including students, school, parents or the community
- Realization factor – likelihood of completion
- Suitable Use of Funds – funds used on items that support the goal(s) of the project
- Consideration is also given to innovation and creativity, and partnerships
The Champions Partnership awards grants to environmental projects that are logical, well-planned and that have the potential to be implemented to meet the project goals.
The Champions of the Environment program is a competitive grant program. A limited number of projects will receive funding.
Based on the quality of the applications received, the Champions' selection committee reserves the right to award fewer than eight grants on an annual basis.
What If I Don't Have A Project Idea Yet?
You must have a project to apply, but if you need an idea:
For additional information, please contact Amanda Ley at email@example.com or call (803) 898-4183.