Why Recycle on Campus?
- Help South Carolina meet the waste reduction and recycling goals outlined in the S.C. Solid Waste Policy and
Management Act of 1991 (Act).
- Lead by example and save thousands of tons of material from being disposed of in landfills each year.
- Educate and engage students and the public about the environmental and economic benefits of recycling and buying
Recycling has many environmental benefits:
- It reduces the need to build landfills and incinerators.
- It reduces pollution caused by the extraction and processing of raw materials as well as the manufacturing of
products using raw materials.
- It reduces greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption.
- It saves natural resources.
Recycling also has many economic benefits:
- A recent study showed that
recycling has a
$13 billion annual economic impact and provides more than 22,000 direct jobs, in South Carolina alone.
- It can be cost competitive with waste disposal or incineration, giving the opportunity to save money.
The bottom line - recycling is good for the environment, good for the economy, and good for the future. Click for
more information on why to recycle.