DHEC posts the agenda for regular board meetings one week in advance of meetings.
Agenda April 15, 2014 (pdf)
View Minutes of Past Meetings
Guide to Board Review (Effective December 12, 2013)
- Chairman and Member-at-large — Allen Amsler
- 1st District — Mark Lutz, Vice Chairman
- 2nd District — Robert Kenyon Wells
- 3rd District — Charles M. Joye II, P.E.
- 4th District — L. Clarence Batts, Jr.
- 5th District — Ann B. Kirol, DDS, Secretary
- 6th District — John O. Hutto, Sr., MD
- 7th District -- William Lee Hewitt, III
- Appoints the agency director;
- Provides policy guidance and oversight;
- Approves regulations;
- Hears appeals of regulatory decisions made by staff; and
- In general, oversees the agency’s work and operations.
- For a complete description of the board’s legal authority and makeup, see the S.C. Code of Laws, Section 44-1-20.
- The board contains eight members.
- All board members are appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the S.C. Senate.
- One board member is appointed from each of South Carolina's seven Congressional districts. The eighth board member is appointed at-large, which means they can be chosen from any part of the state.
- The member-at-large serves as chairman of the board. The member-at-large also serves at the pleasure of the governor. This means the governor has the right to remove the member-at-large from the board at any time.
- Once confirmed, the board members representing the state’s seven Congressional districts may not be replaced without their consent until their term ends.
- The seven Congressional district board seats operate on staggered four-year terms. Every two years, several of the seats cycle out of one four-year term and into a new four-year term.
- When a person is appointed to the board, the length of their appointment will depend on how much time remains in their seat’s four-year cycle. For instance, if a board member resigns one year before his seat’s four-year term is due to end, his replacement will be appointed for a one-year term.
- Whenever a board seat’s term is scheduled to end, the governor can either nominate the sitting appointee to a new term or nominate a new appointee altogether. Sitting members remain on the board until a replacement is approved by the S.C. Senate.
Meeting and Contact Information:
- Regular monthly board meetings are open to the public.
- Monthly meetings are held the second Thursday of each month, unless otherwise public noticed, in Room 3420 of DHEC's headquarters, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia.
- E-mail board members or write to them at DHEC, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201.
- Thursday, February 13
- Thursday, March 13
- Thursday, April 10
- Thursday, May 8
- Thursday, June 12
- Thursday, July 10
- Thursday, August 14
- Thursday, September 11
- Thursday, October 9
- Thursday, November 13
- Thursday, December 11