DHEC posts the agenda for regular board meetings one week in advance of meetings.
View Minutes of Past Meetings
Guide to Board Review (Effective April 11, 2013)
- Chairman and Member-at-large — Allen Amsler
- 1st District — Mark Lutz, Vice Chairman
- 2nd District — Robert Kenyon Wells
- 3rd District — Charles M. Joye II, P.E.
- 4th District — L. Clarence Batts, Jr.
- 5th District — Ann B. Kirol, DDS, Secretary
- 6th District — John O. Hutto, Sr., MD
- Appoints the agency commissioner;
- Provides policy guidance and oversight;
- Approves regulations;
- Hears appeals of regulatory decisions made by staff; and
- In general, oversees the agency’s work and operations.
- For a complete description of the board’s legal authority and makeup, see the S.C. Code of Laws, Section 44-1-20.
- The board contains seven members.
- All board members are appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the S.C. Senate.
- One board member is appointed from each of South Carolina's six Congressional districts. The seventh board member is appointed at-large, which means they can be chosen from any part of the state.
- The member-at-large serves as chairman of the board. The member-at-large also serves at the pleasure of the governor. This means the governor has the right to remove the member-at-large from the board at any time.
- Once confirmed, the board members representing the state’s six Congressional districts may not be replaced without their consent until their term ends.
- The six Congressional district board seats operate on staggered four-year terms. Every two years, several of the seats cycle out of one four-year term and into a new four-year term.
- When a person is appointed to the board, the length of their appointment will depend on how much time remains in their seat’s four-year cycle. For instance, if a board member resigns one year before his seat’s four-year term is due to end, his replacement will be appointed for a one-year term.
- Whenever a board seat’s term is scheduled to end, the governor can either nominate the sitting appointee to a new term or nominate a new appointee altogether. Sitting members remain on the board until a replacement is approved by the S.C. Senate.
Meeting and Contact Information:
- Regular monthly board meetings are open to the public.
- Monthly meetings are held the second Thursday of each month, unless otherwise public noticed, in Room 3420 of DHEC's headquarters, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia.
- E-mail board members or write to them at DHEC, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201.
- Thursday, June 13 (Cancelled)
- Thursday, July 11
- Thursday, August 8
- Thursday, September 12
- Thursday, October 10
- Thursday, November 14
- Thursday, December 12