FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 19, 2010
Nominations sought for Carlos Salinas award
COLUMBIA, S.C. - Nominations are open through June 30, 2010, for the third annual Carlos Salinas award, which recognizes a South Carolina dentist who serves patients with special health care needs, the state Department of Health and Environmental Control announced today.
“The South Carolina Dental Association, South Carolina Oral Health Coalition and Advisory Council, and Specialized Care Company established the award to honor a dentist for excellence in providing care to and advocacy for people with special health care needs,” said Christine Veschusio, director of DHEC’s Division of Oral Health. “The winner will receive the award and special recognition at a fall conference and the recipient’s name will be placed on a perpetual plaque displayed at the MUSC College of Dental Medicine.”
Veschusio said the award is named for Carlos Salinas, DMD, in recognition of his commitment to assisting people with special needs. Dr. Salinas is a professor and director of the Medical University of South Carolina’s Division of Craniofacial Genetics, Department of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, and director of MUSC’s Craniofacial Anomalies and Cleft Lip and Palate Team. He has been with MUSC’s College of Dental Medicine for 34 years.
To be eligible for the Carlos Salinas award:
- The nominee must be a dentist licensed to practice dentistry in South Carolina;
- Nominations may be submitted by anyone except the nominee;
- The person submitting the nomination form must include his or her name and contact information;
- A formal letter of nomination must be included that states why the nominee should be selected and details how the nominee has provided exceptional care for patients with special needs;
- Nominations must be received or postmarked by June 30, 2010 (electronic submissions are preferred).
Please direct questions and nomination materials to Mary Kenyon Jones at email@example.com or send via U.S. Mail in care of: Mary Kenyon Jones; S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control’s Division of Oral Health; Mills-Jarrett Complex; Box 101106; Columbia, S.C. 29211.