Statute, Regulation and Policy Review
Recently, Governor Nikki Haley established a Regulatory Review Task Force to evaluate South Carolina's current regulatory burdens on businesses and to propose recommendations to relieve those burdens. As part of this review, the Task Force will evaluate reports submitted by agencies that identify current and proposed statutes, rules, regulations, and policies that are a burden on South Carolina's economy. To that end, all Cabinet agencies must submit a written report to the Task Force by May 15, 2013. The Governor's order also encouraged other executive agencies, like DHEC, to participate.
DHEC fully supports this important initiative by Governor Haley. Therefore, I [Catherine B. Templeton, DHEC Director] invite the public, including businesses, employees, professional associations, conservation organizations, and any other affected person or entity to comment on statutes and regulations implemented by DHEC that may unduly burden businesses or employers. Comments on proposed statutes and regulations are also welcome.
To ensure all comments are given due consideration, please:
- Provide your name, your company’s name, and your contact information.
- Specify and cite the statute, rule, regulation or policy to which each comment applies.
- If the comment applies to a proposed statute, rule, regulation or policy, provide a copy of or reference to the proposal.
- Specifically state how the statute, rule, regulation or policy unduly burdens you or your business.
- If possible, provide alternative approaches or language you believe will reduce the burden of the provision on you or your business while still meeting the intent or goal of the statute, rule, regulation or policy.
- Submit your written comments by 5:00 p.m. on March 27, 2013, to DHEC, Office of Planning, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, South Carolina, 29201 or by electronic mail to email@example.com
NOTE: DHEC will not consider comments on emergency regulations or regulations promulgated to comply with federal law as part of this review.
In addition to receiving written comments, DHEC will host four (4) public hearings to receive oral comments for consideration in preparing DHEC’s report. The meetings will be held on the following dates at the times and locations listed:
March 11, 2013
12:00 – 3:00 PM
Greenville County Council Chambers
Greenville County Square
301 University Ridge
Greenville, South Carolina 29601
March 12, 2013
12:00 - 3:00 PM
2600 Bull St.
Columbia, South Carolina 29201
March 13, 2013
12:00 - 3:00 PM
North Charleston City Council Chambers
2500 City Hall Lane
North Charleston, South Carolina 29406
March 22, 2013
2:00 – 5:00 PM
Florence County Public Service Building
2685 South Irby St.
Florence, South Carolina 29505
While DHEC will not respond to comments received, it will consider them when making recommendations to the Task Force. DHEC may also consider written and oral comments submitted in its formal review of regulations pursuant to S.C. Code §§ 1-23-120(J) and 1-23-270(F).
Please direct any questions concerning this request to DHEC's Office of Planning at (803) 898-3316 or via electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DHEC Regulated Statutes (pdf)
- DHEC Regulations (pdf)
- Official Letter about Statute, Regulation and Policy Review (pdf)