At this time certified copies of marriage licenses are only available from DHEC for marriages between July 1950 and December 2010. Marriage records prior to and after these dates may be obtained directly from the Probate Court that originally issued the license.
Note: All applicants must provide a photocopy or show a valid government, school or employer issued photo identification. Applications without proper identification will be rejected and not processed.
- Call 1-877-284-1008 (toll-free) or visit www.vitalcheck.com 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Average processing time is 5-7 business days.
You are entitled to obtain a certified copy of a marriage certificate if you are:
- one of the married party (bride or groom),
- the married party's adult child(ren),
- a present or former spouse of either married party, or
- the married party's legal representative
Other applicants may be provided with a statement that the marriage occurred, including the date and county the marriage license was issued.
To amend or change any information on a Marriage Certificate please visit the Probate Court in the county where the marriage occured.
A couple planning to marry in SC must apply for a license at a South Carolina county probate court.
You should contact the Clerk of Courtís office in the county where the divorce was filed for a copy of the decree. We do not have the divorce decree filed in Vital Records.
- Full name of the groom
- Full name of the bride
- Full date of marriage (month, day, year)
- County where the marriage license was issued
- Signature of the person requesting the marriage certificate and their current mailing address
- Relationship between the married parties and the person requesting the certified copy
- Full name and complete mailing address of the person to whom the certificate is to be mailed
- Area code and daytime telephone number of the person requesting the marriage certificate
If you have not received any response to your request within 30 days of submission, you may call 803-898-3630 or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) for an update.
Certified copies of marriage records from July 1950 to December 2010 may be obtained from the Vital Records Office in Columbia, South Carolina, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201.
Copies of marriage records that occurred PRIOR to July 1950 and AFTER December 2010 may be obtained from the Office of the Probate in the county where the original marriage license was issued. Fees charged by DHEC for these services do not apply to copies obtained from the Office of the Probate Judge.
For additional information, contact Vital Records.