Public Notice and Participation
We encourage you to establish relationships with the surrounding community prior to submitting an application for an air permit. By identifying and addressing community concerns during a project’s development phase, your facility can avoid costly delays during the permitting process.
If your proposed new or modified stationary source is required to undergo a public comment period, you may not begin any construction until all public participation procedures are completed and the source has received an effective construction permit from DHEC.
How Public Notice Process Works
When determined to be appropriate by DHEC (or specified by regulation), our Bureau of Air Quality (BAQ) will:
- Notify the public and other entities of the opportunity to review and comment. We will provide at least 30 days for public and EPA comment and will give notice of any public hearing at least 30 days in advance of the hearing.
- Public notice will be given by publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the area where the source is located, or by publication in the South Carolina State Register, and to persons on a mailing list developed by DHEC, including those who request in writing to be on the list.
- We may also use additional means of public notice. A listing of Air Quality permitting activity that is currently undergoing the public participation process can be found on DHEC’s Public Notices webpage.
Each public notice will include:
- The affected source;
- Name and address of the permittee;
- Name and address of DHEC;
- Activities involved in the permit action;
- Emission change involved in any permit modification;
- Name, address, and telephone number of DHEC staff who may provide additional information, such as:
- Copies of the draft permit,
- The application,
- All other materials available to DHEC that are relevant to the permit decision (except for information entitled to confidential treatment);
- A brief description of the comment procedures; and
- Procedures to request a public hearing, or the time and place of any hearing that has already been scheduled for the draft permit.
Staff Phone, Email Info | DHEC Locations | Organizational Charts