Public Notice and Participation
How Public Notice Process Works
When determined to be appropriate by DHEC (or specified by regulation), our Bureau of Air Quality (BAQ) will:
- Notify the public and other entities of the opportunity to review and comment. We will provide at least 30 days for public and EPA comment and will give notice of any public hearing at least 30 days in advance of the hearing.
- Public notice will be given by posting the notice on the DHEC Public Notices webpage, or by publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the area where the source is located, or by publication in the South Carolina State Register, and to persons on a mailing list developed by DHEC, including those who request in writing to be on the list.
- We may also use additional means of public notice.
- Each public notice will include:
- The affected source;
- Name and address of the permittee;
- Activities involved in the permit action;
- Emission changes;
- A brief description of the comment procedures and procedures to request a public hearing, or the time and place of any hearing that has already been scheduled for the draft permit;
- Name, address, and telephone number of DHEC staff who may provide additional information, such as:
- Copies of the draft permit,
- The application,
- All other materials available to DHEC that are relevant to the permit decision, such as compliance plans and reports, and monitoring (except for information entitled to confidential treatment).
- Public Notice Process
- Simplifying the Air Permitting Process - Public Notices (Brochure)