Section 112(r) of the Clean Air Act
Accidental Release Prevention Program
PROGRAM LEVEL DETERMINATION AND REQUIREMENTS
Every process that is subject to 112(r) will be placed in one of three different program levels. Depending on the number of regulated substances at a particular facility, it is possible for a facility to have processes in one or more programs.
- The worst case analysis must not impact a public receptor;
- The facility must not have had an accidental release of a regulated substance for the five years prior to the submission of the RMP; and
- The facility must have an emergency response plan on file with local responders.
If a process does not qualify for Program I or Program III, then it is automatically placed into Program II.
- The process must not qualify for Program I; and
- The regulated process has one of the following Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) or the North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) codes:
|2812||Alkalies & Chlorine Manufacturing||325181|
|2819/2869||All Other Basic Inorganic Chemical Manufacturing||325188|
|2821||Plastics Materials & Resin Manufacturing||325211|
|2865||Cyclic Crude & Intermediates||325192|
|2873||Nitrogenous Fertilizer Manufacturing||325311|
|2879||Pesticides & Other Agricultural Chemical Manufacturing||32532|
|2969/2899||All Other Basic Organic Chemical Manufacturing||325199|
- If the process does not have one of the SIC/NAICS codes, but the process is subject to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Process Safety Management (PSM) standard, then it falls under Program III.
112(r) Decision Tree (pdf) - A flowchart designed to help in determining whether a facility is subject to 112(r) and, if the facility is covered, which Program Level the facility falls under.
Program Level Requirements Chart (pdf) - A chart listing the requirements of each Program Level in 112(r).
DHEC Accidental Release Prevention Contacts:
Heinz Kaiser, Section Manager
Air Toxics Section
Phone: (803) 898-4089 Fax: (803) 898-4117
Air Toxics Section
Phone: (803) 898-4058 Fax: (803) 898-4117
For more information please contact us at (803) 898-4123 or by email.