Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Regulatory Activity Related to Greenhouse Gases
There is much ongoing discussion both at the state and national level about climate change and the U.S. EPA's proposed rules on greenhouse gases. We have provided comments to EPA on these proposed rules during the public comment period. As these proposed rules are so significant it is imperative that we provide EPA with information they need to finalize their regulations.
We stand by our comments and the concerns that we as well as other states continue to express. Our agency is firmly committed to protect public health and the environment and the quality of the air we breathe. In this case, there is a better approach which will result in more environmental benefit and energy independence. That is action by the U.S. Congress. We support Congress setting meaningful national climate and energy policy, as has the U.S. EPA Administrator.
Substantial progress has been made in improving air quality by implementation of the Clean Air Act but significant changes are needed to meet the challenges of the 21st century. The Clean Air Act was never intended to address global sources, only local sources and the Clean Air Act needs to be updated to provide the EPA and the states with the tools needed to address complex issues such as greenhouse gases.
Current Federal Regulatory Activity
Documents linked here are in pdf format.
- December 6, 2013 - DHEC submitted a comment letter pertaining to the development of the GHG standards for existing power plants.
- Update: Final GHG Tailoring Rule
June 29, 2012 – EPA issued a Final Rule (Step 3) that does not revise greenhouse gas (GHG) permitting thresholds that were established in Step 1 and Step 2 of the GHG Tailoring Rule
- May 13, 2010 - EPA sets GHG emissions thresholds to define when permits under the New Source Review Prevention Significant Deterioration (PSD) and title V Operating Permit programs are required for new and existing industrial facilities.
- Final Rulemaking: Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards
- Final Mandatory Reporting of Greenhouse Gases Rule
- Proposed Rulemaking to Establish Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Standards and Corporate Average Fuel Economy Standards; Proposed Rule
- Reconsideration of Interpretation of Regulations That Determine Pollutants Covered by Clean Air Act Permitting Programs; Final Rule
- Prevention of Significant Deterioration and Title V Greenhouse Gas Tailoring Rule; Proposed Rule
For more information please contact the Bureau of Air Quality at (803) 898-4123 or by email.