The iRide Committee of Santee Cooper's Commuter Benefit Program, located in Moncks Corner, is a great
example of the collaborative efforts of employees that have gone well beyond the call of duty by impacting
communities throughout the South Carolina Lowcountry.
The iRide program is an unique alternative rideshare initiative developed and implemented by the Santee
Cooper Human Resource Department in September 2008. It has not only saved employees money on fuel and vehicle
maintenance cost, but has significantly impacted the lives of local residents and businesses by offering them
options for their daily commute to work.
The actions of the iRide Committee included:
- Planned and implemented several initiatives:
- preferred parking for carpoolers
- payroll deduction of pre-tax dollars to purchase bus passes
- discounted bus passes
- provided free bus transportation during lunchtime to area restaurants for all employees
- Established express bus service options through a successful public/private partnership with Tri-County Link, the rural public transit provider for the area:
- services open to the general public
- available routes in Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties
- access to wireless internet
- Increased employees awareness by providing incentives:
- 583 employee participate in the program
- Utilized electronic software, AlterNet Rides, to track carbon emission reductions:
- saved 1,651,740 lbs of carbon dioxide gas emissions
- successfully logged 4,849,371 miles
- reduced carbon footprint
The iRide program is a model for other businesses to follow. The committee members are true experts
in this field. They have shared their experiences, offered insight and have selflessly given of their
time and energy promoting this initiative. Businesses that have shown an interest in the iRide program
include: Lexington Medical Center, SCANA, SC Department of Transportation (SCDOT), Newberry Council on
Aging, Lower Savannah Council of Government, Santee Wateree Regional Transportation Authority (SWRTA)
and Berkley, Charleston, Dorchester Council of Government.
Congratulations to the iRide Committee members of Santee Cooper's Commuter Benefits program, Wendy Cruce, Glen Brown, Laura Varn, Marc Tye, Allison Dennis, Nicole Wren, Mollie Gore, Liz Kress, Dean Creed, Henry Schweers, and Ray Smith as the 2011 Spare the Air Outstanding Employee Award winners!
For additional information, please contact Wendy Cruce, Chairwoman.
1 Riverwood Drive
Moncks Corner, SC 29461