These guidelines for B2 may be modified to meet any school's unique circumstances.
- Arrange a meeting with a B2 representative to set goals and a timeline for the program.
- Choose a faculty or staff member to coordinate the project.
Student Involvement – the "Clean Air Patrol"
- Recruit students to be the Clean Air Patrol. Recommend 3rd grade and older.
- Educate these students on air quality and Patrol activities, which may include:
- Distribute surveys, flyers, and rewards (when available) to inform and encourage parents
- Create posters and newsletter articles to raise awareness
- Data collection (see step 3)
- Meet with bus drivers to encourage their participation
- Presentations to fellow students, faculty and/or parent groups
- Don't be scared! Data collection for B2 is simple, but essential for tracking progress.
- Data collection should begin before the project starts, to determine a baseline for measuring success,
and be repeated at least twice in the first year of participation. Electronic
data entry is available.
- Reporting Schedule: Baseline due September 30th, Winter data due by January 31st, Spring data due by April 30th
- All new schools are required to submit a baseline data report prior to receiving anti-idling signs, brochures, postcards, car decals, etc.
Adopt a Policy
- Another simple but essential step, an official policy will help ensure that B2 and the practice of "no idling" will continue beyond the first year.
- Place the "no idling" policy in the student/parent handbook and the school website.
- School Policy Samples (pdf)
Getting the Word Out
- Inform families about B2 by email, flyers, posters, newsletter, surveys, and/or phone.
- Build excitement and teach all students about B2. Have special "kickoff day" promotions or events. Lesson plans available, as well as "Spare the Air" bookmarks for all students.
- Meet with the bus drivers. Work with the transportation director if necessary.
- Post "no idling" signs (up to 3 will be provided) on campus as a reminder to drivers.
- Survey Template (pdf)
- School Newsletter Sample (pdf)
- "No Idling" Sign (pdf)
Keep it Going
- Make a plan for continuing B2 into the second year. Reinforce the message and track progress. Recruit a new Clean Air Patrol if necessary.
- Consider other projects to improve air quality. Visit www.greenstepschools.com for ideas.Some examples from other schools are:
- Planting trees/landscaping to reduce mowing area
- Erect an informational kiosk
- Encourage carpooling to reduce vehicle traffic
- Start a walk/bike to school program
- Establish an environmental club
- Establish a school air quality flag program
- Host an air quality poster/calendar contest
For more information on B2, please contact Debra Briggs-Monroe or by phone at (803) 898-3752.