Skip to content
Food Safety for Industry

Raw Milk and Raw Cheese Dairy

The photo shows gallons of milk on a grocery store shelf.Permit(s) Needed

If you raise cows or goats and produce raw milk for sale, you must get a permit from DHEC and undergo regular inspections just like other dairy farms in South Carolina.

If you want to produce raw cheese for public consumption, you will need to contact the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Other Requirements

  • Raw milk dairy operations must meet all requirements of S.C. Regulation 61-34.
  • No one may transport raw milk for human consumption across state lines due to federal laws.

For More Information

Contact DHEC’s dairy program.

Phone: (803) 896-0644
Fax: (803) 896-0645