Skip to content
Food Safety for Industry

Specialty Food Products
(Including Candies, Jellies, Jams, Preserves, Pickles, Relish, Barbecue Sauce, Packaged Foods, Salsa, Soft Drinks, and Other Products)

The photo shows a two-tiered shelving unit displaying various canned items.Permit Needed

Getting the necessary approvals to legally sell or distribute a specialty food product in South Carolina is not an easy or overnight process. Quality control standards are strict. Depending on what kind of product you want to sell, you will need one or more permits and must meet the same facility and food handling and manufacturing process requirements as any other food manufacturer. In some cases, you may need to get approvals from more than one government agency.

Learn more about becoming an approved vendor for WIC, the federal Women's, Infants and Children nutritional supplement program.

See Clemson Extension's site on proper, safe techniques for home canning, preservation, freezing and drying.