For Veterinarians: Information on Mosquito-Borne Diseases
Although veterinarians in South Carolina are not required to report Eastern Equine Encephalitis in horses to DHEC and the Clemson Veterinary Diagnostic Center, this information helps DHEC's disease surveillance team foresee potential spikes in the virus among the state's human population.
For additional information, visit these websites:
- Clemson University Livestock and Poultry Health Division
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's West Nile Virus in Horses Page
Vaccination of Horses
Disease Surveillance Statistics
- South Carolina Arbovirus Activity – Maps and Data
- Animal Cases - Eastern and Western Equine Encephalitis, Animal Health Monitoring and Surveillance, U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service,
- Animal Cases - West Nile Virus, Animal Health Monitoring and Surveillance, U.S.Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
For more information please contact your local Mosquito Control Program.