In June 2007, the South Carolina General Assembly passed Act 171 to create an S. C. Environmental Justice Advisory Committee (Committee) to S. C. DHEC. The Committee was formed and tasked with identifying existing practices at state agencies regarding environmental justice issues, which affect economic development and revitalization projects in this state, and to make recommendations.
The Advisory Committee included the commissioner, executive director, or head of each department or designee from:
- Office of the Attorney General
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Education
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
- Department of Natural Resources
- Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- Department of Public Safety
- Department of Transportation
- University of South Carolina Arnold School of Public Health
- Clemson University’s Public Service Authority
- South Carolina State University’s Public Service Authority
- State Ports Authority
The South Carolina Environmental Justice Advisory Committee: Final Report was submitted to the Governor and General Assembly on January 1, 2010. This report provided all findings and recommendations.
During the two years the Committee met, the Policy subcommittee was also formed. This Committee developed the South Carolina Environmental Justice Advisory Committee: State Resource Guide.
Also, four Listening Sessions were held across the state in 2009 to receive input from other stakeholders not on the Committee. Those listening sessions were held in: