Program Updates & Presentations
Methods Update Rule II (MUR II) Information
The US EPA issued a final rule on May 18, 2012 to approve new and revised analytical methods for the analysis of wastewater. This rule, "Guidelines Establishing Test Procedures for the Analysis of Pollutants under the Clean Water Act; Analysis and Sampling Procedures" applies to 40 CFR Parts 136, 260, 423, 430, and 435.
The rule is referred to as the "Methods Update Rule II" (MUR II) and includes the following:
- New, revised, and withdrawn wastewater methods.
- New naming format for Standard Methods.
- Minimum quality control requirements.
- Examples of allowed method flexibility.
- Clarifications and corrections to previously approved methods.
- Revisions to sample collection, preservation, and holding time requirements.
The following provide more information on the implementation of this rule.
MUR II Implementation Schedule
|October 15, 2012||Acknowledgement Form sent to all laboratories. The form requires the updating of SOPs with new method references and required QA/QC.|
|December 1, 2012||Acknowledgement Form must be returned to our office.|
|January 1, 2013||Proficiency Testing samples are analyzed and reported using new Standard Methods naming format and required QA/QC practices.|
|January 1, 2013||Applications submitted to change methods.|
|January 2013||Laboratory evaluations will include the review of the new SOPs and laboratory records with the required QA/QC practices.|
For additional information, please email us.