Examples of secondary containment:
- Double-wall tank
- Double-wall piping
- Under-dispenser containment (dispensor sump )
- Submersible turbine pump sump
Instances where secondary containment is now required*;
- Any new tank installation
- Any new piping installation
- Any new dispenser installation
- A replacement tank
- A replacement of an entire piping run
- A replacement dispenser ( exception: a replacement suction dispensor where no change to piping occurs )
- Piping repairs over a consecutive 12-month period that equals more than 25 percent of the existing piping run
*If any part of the tank system is located within 1,000 feet of any existing community water system or any existing potable drinking water well.
Secondary containment systems must:
- Contain all regulated substances released from a UST system until they are detected and removed.
- Prevent a release of a regulated substance to the environment at any time during the operational life of the UST system.
- Be monitored monthly for a release using interstital monitoring.
For more information please contact the Bureau of Land & Waste Management at (803) 898-2000 or visit our offices (note new location).