Public water systems must notify their customers when they violate EPA or state drinking water regulations (including monitoring requirements) or otherwise provide drinking water that may pose a risk to consumer’s health.
Notices must contain:
- A description of the violation or situation
- When the violation or situation occurred
- Potential health effects
- The population at risk
- Whether alternate water supplies should be used
- Actions consumers should take
- What is being done to correct the violation or situation
- When the system expects to return to compliance
- Name, phone number, and business address for more information
- Standard distribution language
R.61-58 State Primary Drinking Water Regulations. – see R.61-58.6 – Reports, Record Retention and Public Notification of Drinking Water Violations
Public Notification (PN) - EPA – Basic information regarding Public Notice, the Public Notice Rule, and compliance help.
The Public Notification Rule: A Quick Reference Guide - EPA – a quick reference guide to Public Notice including an example.
Revised Public Notification Handbook – 2nd Revision of Document: EPA 816-R-09-013, March 2010 .
Bureau of Water . Phone: (803) 898-4300 . Fax: (803) 898-3795 . Contact Us