How to Follow the Advisories
An advisory is issued when DHEC determines by sampling and analysis that mercury exceeds safe limits for consuming those fish.
What Is An Advisory?
- An advisory is the advice given for how much of a certain type of fish you should eat in a particular waterbody.
- Advisories will be one of the following:
- No Restrictions – eat as many as you’d like of that fish from that waterbody.
- One meal a week – only eat that type of fish once in that week and eat no other fish with an advisory within that same week.
- One meal a month – only eat that type of fish once in that month and eat no other fish with an advisory within that same month.
- Do Not Eat Any – you should not eat any of that type of fish from that waterbody
- All advisories are based on 1 meal of fish
- 1 meal of fish = ½ pound or 8 ounces of uncooked fish
- 8 ounces of uncooked fish = about the size of 2 decks of playing cards
Bureau of Water . Phone: (803) 898-4300 . Fax: (803) 898-3795 . Contact Us