Pollutants in Intake Water
(Section 122.45(g) of R.61-9)
Section 122.45(g). Pollutants in intake water.
(1) Upon request of the discharger, technology-based effluent limitations or standards shall be adjusted to reflect credit for pollutants in the discharger's intake water if;
(i) The applicable effluent limitations and standards contained in 40 CFR Subchapter N specifically provide that they shall be applied on a net basis; or
(ii) The discharger demonstrates that the control system it proposes or uses to meet applicable technology-based limitations and standards would, if properly installed and operated, meet the limitations and standards in the absence of pollutants in the intake waters.
(2) Credit for generic pollutants such as biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) or total suspended solids (TSS) should not be granted unless the permittee demonstrates that the constituents of the generic measure in the effluent are substantially similar to the constituents of the generic measure in the intake water or unless appropriate additional limits are placed on process water pollutants either at the outfall or elsewhere.
(3) Credit shall be granted only to the extent necessary to meet the applicable limitation or standard, up to a maximum value equal to the influent value. Additional monitoring may be necessary to determine eligibility for credits and compliance with permit limits.
(4) Credit shall be granted only if the discharger demonstrates that the intake water is drawn from the same body of water into which the discharge is made. The Department may waive this requirement if it finds that no environmental degradation will result.
(5) This section does not apply to the discharge of raw water clarifier sludge generated from the treatment of intake water.
Bureau of Water . Phone: (803) 898-4300 . Fax: (803) 898-3795 . Contact Us