Satellite Sewer System Program
Regulation 61-9.610 outlines a rule for operation and maintenance of satellite sewer systems.This rule set up a operating permit program as a means to implement these requirements. DHEC reissued a General Permit for Satellite Systems on January 4, 2012. Upon notification of coverage under this general permit owners of satellite sewer systems are required to:
- Provide DHEC basic company/owner information
- Properly operate and maintain their systems
- Report sewer system releases(overflows)
What is a satellite system?
The regulatory definition states: ". a sewer system that is owned or operated by one person that discharges to a system that is owned or operated by a different person. Satellite sewer systems depend on a separate person for final wastewater treatment and discharge and include systems approved under R.61-9.505.8."
satellite sewer system in this context does not mean a system that is monitored
by a satellite; e.g., supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems.
every wastewater system that is not covered by either a National Pollutant
Discharge Elimination System permit or a State Land Application Permit is a
The group of systems that are covered by this regulation and the general
permit are those that would require a construction permit under R.61-67 (see section.300.A.1)
if built today.
There are two basic situations that would normally apply:
- Sewers serving more than one building (apartments, subdivisions, industrial complex, etc.)
- Pretreatment systems at industries
are some exemptions for a construction permit if the system is defined as a service
connection in R.61-67.
What is the relationship between the regulation and the general permit?
The governing regulation is R.61-9.610. This rule went into effect in June 2003. This regulation addressed a permitting program (i.e., an operating permit for the satellite system). While DHEC may issue individual permits, most systems will be covered by the general permit issued October 27, 2003. Coverage under the general permit would be effective for an individual system upon notification by DHEC. For systems that have not been notified by DHEC, they must still comply with the requirements of R.61-9.610.
Bureau of Water has developed a short PowerPoint presentation on the Satellite
Sewer System Operating Permit Program. Click here to view the presentation
on the Satellite Sewer System Operation Permit Program. Also, you may contact
Jeff deBessonet at DHEC's Water Facilities Permitting Division by either:
- Jeff DeBessonet Or Bureau of Water at (803) 898-4300
- 61-9,Water Pollution Control Permits
In Regulation, see Section 61-9.610 on Satellite Sewer Systems
- Applications and Forms:
- General Permit for Satellite Sewer Systems
- PowerPoint Presentation on Satellite Sewer Systems Operation Permit Program
- Jeff deBessonet,(803) 898-4157
- EQC Local Regional Offices
- Glenn Trofatter,(803) 898-4233
- Brian Wisnewski, (803) 898-4160
- Wastewater Construction Permit Program
- NPDES Program (except Stormwater)
- NPDES Stormwater Program
- Land Application Permit Program
- Pretreatment Program
- Sludge Program
Bureau of Water . Phone: (803) 898-4300 . Fax: (803) 898-3795 . Contact Us