Information: Application for NPDES permit
Duke Energy – Lee Nuclear Station
PUBLIC HEARING: please see hearing notice for April 4, 2013 hearing
NOTE: The name of the church where the hearing will be held recently changed names from Restoration Church International to Encounter Church
FEBRUARY 2013 UPDATE: DHEC has completed its review of the NPDES permit application. A draft permit is available for comment during the public notice period which ends April 19, 2013. In addition to receiving written comments, DHEC will host a public hearing to receive oral comments. Written comments will be reviewed the same as oral comments. Hearing details can be found in the public notice link above.
Duke Energy Carolinas, LLC made an application for an NPDES permit on August 15, 2011.
Site address: 1313 McKowns Mountain Road, Gaffney, SC 29349
(8 miles southeast of Gaffney, 6 miles south of Blacksburg)
Proposed facility with electric generating capacity of approximately 2200 megawatts
Two new nuclear reactors (approximately 1100 megawatts each)
Operation proposed to begin in year 2022
Discharge to the Broad River at the 99 Islands Reservoir:
- Average discharge flow –18 cubic feet per second (cfs))
- Discharge proposed:
- Cooling tower water discharge (98% of discharge)
- Process wastewater (intermittent)
- Liquid low-level radioactive waste (intermittent), regulated by the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Cooling water intakes on the Broad River at the 99 Islands Reservoir and three off-stream ponds
- Typical average withdrawal from the Broad River: ~78 cfs, with a return flow to the river system of ~23 cfs (discharge flow, plus intake screen wash water)
- During low flows in the Broad River, cooling water will be withdrawn from off-stream ponds
Future meetings and decisions:
If you would like to be notified of any future meetings/hearings on the NPDES permit review, please e-mail Randy Thompson at: email@example.com or write him at DHEC/Water, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201. You should state, “Please add me to your mailing list for the Duke Lee Nuclear NPDES application” in your request.