Your business may experience higher than normal absenteeism during influenza season. Influenza can cause mild to severe respiratory illness and can even lead to death. We urge you to follow the guidelines below and work closely with us to slow the spread and severity of flu season here in South Carolina.
Flu Planning Advice for Businesses and Employers
Make a flu response plan using these resources from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Seasonal Flu Information for Businesses & Employees
- Vaccinating Against the Flu: A Business Case
- Business Pandemic Influenza Planning Checklist
- Health Insurer Flu Response Plan
- Pandemic Preparedness for Businesses with Overseas Operations
Protect Your Employees and Customers
Do your part to prevent and slow the spread of influenza among your employees, customers and their families:
- Encourage employees to learn the facts about vaccination and get vaccinated against influenza.
- Tell your employees about DHEC’s flu vaccine finder website to help them locate vaccine providers in your local community.
- Encourage sick employees to stay at home.
- Clean surfaces that are frequently touched with usual cleaning agents. Additional disinfection beyond routine cleaning is not recommended.
- Consider offering flu vaccination at your business. The CDC website has a toolkit that offers strategies to help businesses and employers promote flu vaccine.