Heart Disease in South Carolina
Heart disease is South Carolina's second leading cause of death:
- 9,253 – The number of people who died from heart disease in South Carolina in 2010.
- 52,746 – The number of hospitalizations due to heart disease in South Carolina in 2011.
- $2.74 billion – The total cost of hospitalizations due to heart disease in SC during 2011.
What is heart disease?
Heart disease is a broad term that refers to several types of heart conditions. The most common type of heart disease in the United States is coronary artery disease, which can cause heart attack, arrhythmias, angina, and heart failure.
Ways to prevent heart disease:
- Stop smoking
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Get regular health screenings:
- Limit alcohol use
- Take your medicine
- Manage your diabetes
- Eat a healthy diet thatís low in fat, cholesterol and salt
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week
- Women & Heart Disease
- What do my blood pressure numbers mean?
- Is my cholesterol too high?
- DASH Diet – Southern Style (pdf)