Injury & Violence Prevention
Student Athlete Concussions Law
The Student Athlete Concussions Law went into effect on June 7,
2013. The Student Athlete Concussions Law outlines requirements for South Carolina High School League-sanctioned
events. The information on this web page is provided to assist South Carolina school districts in complying with this law.
Click here to read the SC Student Athlete Concussions Law
National Guidelines and Procedures
School districts should review the requirements outlined in the SC Student Athlete Concussions Law, examine national
guidelines and procedures to identify best practices, and create district guidelines and procedures accordingly. Some
resources that school districts may find helpful are listed below. The documents do not supersede any section of the
SC Student Athlete Concussions Law.
Forms referenced in the Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport:
This section includes policy statements and guidelines that schools and other local or state agencies have adopted to
guide decisions related to concussion management. The documents are for information only and should not be interpreted
as requirements or endorsements by S.C. DHEC. These documents do not supersede any section of the SC Student Athlete
Concussions Law. Documents from other states may reflect laws that are different from those in South Carolina.
Maintaining current knowledge is essential for appropriate identification, evaluation and management of concussions. The
educational links below are for information only. Inclusion here does not imply requirement, sponsorship or endorsement by
S.C. DHEC. Address questions to the course sponsor.
Attention: Health Care Provider Organizations
To have your concussion continuing education offering listed on this webpage, send an e-mail including a link to the
course description and registration process to ConcussionTraining@dhec.sc.gov. If possible, please send information at
least 8 weeks prior to the course date.
Newly Announced Opportunities
Concusion Management in Secondary Schools for School Professionals
Monday, March 17, 2014
On-line Educational Opportunities (ongoing)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Heads Up Online Training
- Concussion in Sports – What You Need to Know (National Federation of State High School Associations)
Follow these steps to complete this course:
- Click on the button that says, please login to order. In the window that appears, click Register Now.
- When your registration is complete you may "order" the free concussion course offered along the left
hand side of the page. Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you'll be charged for the course, there is no cost.
- Once you've completed "checkout," you'll be able to take the free online course.
- When you've completed and passed the course, you have the option of printing a certificate of completion.
- School-wide Concussion Management (Brain 101 – The Concussion Playbook)