Surveillance & Data
The South Carolina Surveillance System is used to methodically collect, analyze, interpret, and disseminate data about healthy eating and active living on an ongoing basis. This system was designed as a tool to:
- Monitor the extent and trend of the obesity epidemic within state and local communities.
- Provide data needed for evaluation, planning and decision-making at all levels.
- Assess the impacts of policy and environmental interventions being implemented.
In addition to monitoring the obesity epidemic in South Carolina, the system is also used to capture behavioral factors, such as poor nutrition and physical inactivity that place South Carolinians at risk for obesity and obesity-related chronic diseases. Surveillance data is used to determine priority areas, describe risk behaviors and evaluate specific prevention efforts. These priorities or goals are reflected in the SC Obesity State Plan and related indicators for these goals are included in the SC Surveillance Plan.
Desired Long Term Health Outcomes:
- Increase physical activity
- Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Increase breastfeeding
- Decrease the consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages
- Decrease the consumption of high-energy-dense foods
- Decrease television viewing
- Decrease Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Decrease prevalence of other chronic conditions
- Decrease health disparities among targeted populations
The 2011 SC Obesity Burden Report (pdf) was updated recently to document the trends, risk factors, and health consequences related to overweight and obesity. This report also discusses barriers to healthy living, the impact of weight on other chronic diseases, the economic costs of obesity and health disparity among populations affected by overweight and obesity.
The Overweight and Obesity County Maps 2000-2010 (pdf) show rates of overweight and obesity of adults in South Carolina by county. The counties are shaded to reflect the varying rates of overweight and obesity and are presented for the years 2000-2010.
South Carolina Indicator Reports
- Breastfeeding Report Card, 2012
- Children's Food Environment, 2011
- Children's Food Environment, 2011 - National Action Guide
- Children's Food Environment, 2011 - South Carolina Action Guide
- Fruits and Vegetables, 2009
- Fruits and Vegetables, 2009 - National Action Guide
- Physical Activity, 2010
- Physical Activity, 2010 - National Action Guide
- Physical Activity, 2010 - South Carolina Action Guide
Obesity and Related Factors Profile Sheets By County
| Select a county on the map or choose from list below.