About the Council
The South Carolina Governor's Council on Physical Fitness was established by Executive Order in 1972 by Governor John C. West. It is one of the oldest Councils in the country. The Council promotes the health and well-being of South Carolinians of all ages by advancing the levels of physical activity and fitness.
- The Council is composed of: 10 members appointed by the Governor.
- 5 members representing the South Carolina Coalition for Promoting Physical Activity.
- 3 members representing organizations with an interest in physical fitness and healthy lifestyles.
In addition to serving as an advisor to the State on issues related to physical activity and providing vision and leadership to agencies and policy makers, the Governor's Council pursues several activities:
- The Council's slogan, "Family, Fun, and Fitness," stresses the importance of physical activity in family life.
- An annual awards program has been established by the Council to honor excellent physical activity programs and leaders. Awards are presented in the following categories: individual, school, community, worksite, faith-based organization, media, and public policy.
- In collaboration with the SC Coalition for Promoting Physical Activity School and Youth Committee, the Council participates in "Walk to School Day" by actively promoting the event and funding mini-grants.
- "Promoting an Active South Carolina: A Conference on Physical Activity and Health," is a training seminar on community-based physical activity initatives sponsored by the Council.
- The Communications/Marketing Committee has produced an advocacy kit for physical education.
- Recess Position Statement
- Participated in the South Carolina Shrinkdown
- The Council publishes a quarterly newsletter, The Fitness Connection.
The Bureau of Community Health and Chronic Disease Prevention of the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) provides a staff member part-time to serve as Executive Director for the Council.
To Contact Us:
South Carolina Governor's Council on Physical Fitness
Bureau of Community Health and Chronic Disease Prevention
1800 St. Julian Place
Columbia, SC 29204