CON Process: Who Must Apply and Exemptions
A Certificate of Need is valid for 12 months from the date of issuance. Extensions may be granted by DHEC if substantial progress can be documented.
A CON is valid only for the project described in the application, and it is nontransferable.
Who Must Apply
The following health services currently are covered by CON in South Carolina:
- Acute care hospitals
- Alcohol and substance abuse facilities
- Ambulatory surgical facilities
- Cardiac catheterization facilities
- Freestanding emergency services
- Home health agencies
- Gamma knife facilities
- Inpatient hospice facilities
- Linear accelerator services (radiation therapy)
- Neonatal intensive care services
- Nursing homes
- Open heart surgery centers
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) providers
- Psychiatric services
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Residential treatment facilities for children and adolescents
For questions regarding the Certificate of Need process and program, please contact us at (803) 545-4200.