Health Licensing has the ultimate goal of ensuring that individuals receiving care and services from health care activities licensed by the Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) are provided appropriate care and services in a manner and, in an environment that promotes their health, safety, and well-being. Supporting goals of the Division include:
- Evaluating licensed and proposed activities through inspection and investigation based upon these established standards;
- Requiring activities to meet the established standards.
The Division offers assistance to activities in meeting the standards through consultation or, when necessary, takes enforcement actions when activities are unable or unwilling to meet the standards.
The Division is organized as follows:
- Community Care Oversight Section regulates Community Residential Care Facilities (CRCF) and Intermediate Care Facilities for Persons with Intellectual Disability (ICFMR) programs. Their duties and responsibilities are to inspect and investigate health care activities, provide consultations as needed, and recommend enforcement actions as deemed appropriate.
- Health Facility Oversight Section is divided into the Medical Management Office and The Facilities and Services Office. Their duties and responsibilities are to inspect and investigate health care activities, provide consultations as needed, and recommend enforcement actions as deemed appropriate.
- Medical Management Office manages Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Renal Dialysis Facilities, and Residential Treatment Facilities for Children and Adolescents.
- Facilities and Services Office manages Abortion Clinics, Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Body Piercing Facility (Permitted, not licensed), Day Care Facilities for Adults, inpatient and outpatient Treatment Facilities that Treat Individuals for Psychoactive Substance Abuse or Dependence, Hearing Aid Specialists, Home Health Agencies, inpatient and outpatient Hospice Facilities, Freestanding or Mobile Technology and Tattoo facilities.
In addition, the Health Facility Oversight Section is responsible for Perinatal Oversight (pdf) through inspection of hospitals that provide obstetrical services. This area also oversees the licensing of Birthing Centers, Midwives and midwife apprentices.
For additional information, contact: Division Director Gwendolyn Thompson - (803) 545-4370