Hearing Aid Specialists (News Releases)
The Department licenses hearing aid specialists defined as individuals who measure human hearing by an audiometer and by other established means solely for fitting, making selections, adaptations, or sale of hearing aids; this procedure includes the making of impressions for earmolds.
The Department may also issue a temporary permit to an individual who does not yet meet the experience qualifications and technical knowledge of a licensed hearing aid specialist, to allow him or her to engage in the fitting and selling of hearing aids for a period of one year under the supervision of a licensed hearing aid specialist.
Hearing aid specialist licenses are issued to those individuals who pass both the National Institute of Hearing Instruments Studies written and practical examinations, both of which are administered on a semi-annual basis by the Department.
- Hearing Aid Program: Procedures For Licensing
- Annual On-line Continuing Educations Units (CEUs) Memo (pdf)
- Application for License as a Hearing Aid Specialist (doc)
- Application For Examination To Be Eligible For Licensure As A Hearing Aid Specialist
- Application for Temporary Permit Under Sponsorship of a Licensed Hearing Aid Specialist (doc)
- Memo: Examinations to Establish Eligibility for Licensure as a Hearing Aid Specialist (2/1/2012)
- Approved Continuing Education Courses (pdf)
- Hearing Aid Specialist Testing Dates (pdf)
- Standards for Licensing - The Practice of Selling and Fitting Hearing Aids: Regulation 61-3
- Section 40-25-10, et seq., of the South Carolina Code of Laws, 1976, as amended: The "Practice of Specializing in Hearing Aids Act"
- Current listing of licensed hearing aid specialists and hearing aid specialist with temporary permits
For information regarding applications, regulations, or other facts regarding the Hearing Aid Specialist Program in South Carolina, call (803) 545-4370.
For additional information, contact: Division Director Gwendolyn Thompson - (803) 545-4370