Orthodontic and related services are available to children with conditions of the face, jaw, mouth or teeth that affect normal functioning. Program services are limited to children with severe impairments that will lead to worsening health conditions if not corrected. Unfortunately, we cannot assist all children who may benefit from orthodontic treatment.
- U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency
- South Carolina residency
- Initial approval for services made by age 18
- Household income at or below 250% federal poverty level ($57,625/year for family of four) or Medicaid coverage
- An orthodontist must determine presence of a functional impairment that meets qualifications established by DHEC. Eligibility must be confirmed the DHEC Division of Children with Special Health Care Needs orthodontic consultant.
- Payment for recommended orthodontic treatment
- Payment for dental or other services needed in addition to orthodontic treatment to correct the functional impairment
- Monitoring progress with child and parent or guardian to assure best possible outcomes.
How to Apply
Contact nearest regional CSHCN office for detailed information and instructions.
If you have questions about getting services for your child with special needs, please contact us.
Info for Healthcare Providers
- Orthodontic program policies (pdf)
- Orthodontic fee schedule (pdf)
- Referral form and screening tool (DHEC 0762, pdf)
- Treatment plan form (DHEC 0911, pdf)
For more information, email Children with Special Health Care Needs
or call us at (803) 898-0784.