Results from the S.C. Oral Health Screening
DHEC will use the results of the 2012-13 screening survey to evaluate the State’s preventive oral health programs, determine the need for additional dental programs, and describe the oral health of South Carolina’s children. We will make the results available to the general public and to schools, healthcare professionals, non-profit organizations and federal, state and local agencies.
Key Findings from the 2007-08 Screening
Of the South Carolina kindergarten and 3rd grade students screened in 2007-08:
- About half (47.1%) had experienced tooth decay
- 22.0% had untreated tooth decay.
- Only 24.2% of 3rd grade children had at least one permanent molar with a dental sealant.
- 15.5% required early dental care (within 1 month)
- 5.9% required urgent dental care (within 24 hours)
For more information, please email DHEC’s Oral Health staff or call us at (803) 898-0194 .