Information for School Coordinators/School Nurses
Designated school-based coordinators will oversee and administer the 2012 South Carolina Oral Health Statewide Screening survey. In many instances, the school nurse will serve as the school-based coordinator.
As a school coordinator, you will have a huge impact on the success of our 2012 Oral Health Screening program. Thank you for helping DHEC improve oral health in South Carolina.
Here are the steps you will need to follow:
- Review our Fact Sheet (pdf), which provides a general overview of the statewide screening program. Make additional copies of the Fact Sheet for school personnel and parents/guardians as needed.
- Distribute the teacher resource packet, which include the Parent Consent Forms (pdf) to each K5 and third grade teacher. The Parent Consent Forms should be sent home to parents at least one week prior to the screening date.
- Follow up as needed to make sure the Parent Consent Forms (pdf) are collected from students in a timely manner. (Schools with the highest percentage of returned forms will be eligible to receive a special puppet show produced by the Columbia Marionette Theater, Flora and Floppy go to the Dentist.)
- Ask each K5 and third grade teacher to complete the identification information on the Screening Form (pdf) for each child who returns a signed positive Parent Consent Form (pdf). This will include the child’s name, birth date, gender, race and ethnicity.
- Ask each K5 and third grade teacher to staple the signed positive Parent Consent Form (pdf) to the Screening Form (pdf).
- Assist as needed in distributing incentives to all the kindergarten and 3rd grade students (whether they were screened or not).
- Assist as needed on the day of the screening to ensure the process runs smoothly.
For more information, please email DHEC’s Oral Health staff or call us at (803) 898-0194 .