Information for Screeners/Healthcare Providers
As a screener, you will have a huge impact on the success of our 2012 Oral Health Screening program. Thank you for helping DHEC improve oral health in South Carolina.
Before you can participate as a screener, you will need to:
- Complete the BSS online training for screeners. You must score at least 80% to be certified to participate in the 2012 South Carolina Oral Health Statewide Screening survey.
- Receive verification from DHEC that you have passed the certification testing and are approved to conduct screenings.
Please do not contact the school until you have received confirmation from DHEC’s Oral Health Division.
Screenings may not take place prior to October 1, 2012.
Once you are trained and certified, here are the steps you’ll need to take:
- Contact the school principal and schedule a mutually convenient date and time (or more than one, if needed) to conduct the screening for the kindergarten and 3rd grade classrooms. (Every kindergarten and 3rd grade class in the school should be included.)
- At least 2 to 3 weeks prior to the scheduled screening date(s), please email DHEC’s Division of Oral Health or call us at (803) 898-0194 to provide the scheduled screening date(s).
- Once we receive your screening date, we will mail you a Screening Packet that will include contact information for school personnel, a Screening Checklist (pdf), and Results Forms (pdf) to complete for each child, whether they are screened or not.
- We will mail Screening Forms (pdf) to the school. (Kindergarten and 3rd grade teachers will complete the identification information on the Screening Form for each child who returns a signed Parent Consent Form (pdf). They will staple the signed Consent Form to the Screening Form and give those to you the day of the screening.)
- Go ahead and fill in the school information and screening date on the Results Forms (pdf) to save time during the screening.
- Gather your needed screening supplies:
- Small flashlight and batteries
- Hand sanitizer
- Cotton tip applicators
- Results Forms.
- When you arrive at the school the day of the screening, check in with the designated school contact and ask them where you are to set up. Some schools may use one central location; others will use K5 and 3rd grade classrooms. If you’re given a choice, request to use the classrooms; this location can be faster and more efficient.
- Check in with the school nurse if he/she is present and answer any questions he or she may have.
- Set up your screening area and ask teachers to give you the Screening Forms (pdf). Check that the identification information has been completed and that the appropriate signed Parent Consent Form (pdf) has been stapled to each Screening Form.
- Make sure the teacher understands what will take place during the screening and ask if he/she has any questions. If the screening will be done in the classroom, consult with the teacher to minimize interruption.
- Do screenings as instructed in the BSS training. Make sure to check that you have a signed, positive parental consent form for each child before you examine their mouth. Also make sure every Screening Form is completed in full.
- At the end of each classroom screening, give the stack of Results Forms (pdf) to the teacher.
- Once you’re finished screening the children, clean up your workspace, thank the teacher and return to the school office to sign out. Thank the office staff and nurse for their time and participation.
- At the end of the screening event, place all the Screening Forms with attached Parent Consent Forms in the sealed and enclosed addressed envelope for shipping to the Division of Oral Health at DHEC. Do not fax the forms!
If you have any questions, please email us or call us at (803) 898-0194.
For more information, please email DHEC’s Oral Health staff or call us at (803) 898-0194 .