Information for Teachers
As a teacher, you will have a huge impact on the success of our 2012 Oral Health Screening program. Thank you for helping DHEC improve oral health in South Carolina.
Here are the steps you will need to follow:
- The school coordinator will give you a teacher resource packet that will include Parent Consent Forms (pdf), educational resources for your classroom and student incentives. The incentives are to be given to every child whether they are screened or not.
- Review the Fact Sheet (pdf) enclosed in your packet. It provides a general overview of the statewide screening program. Feel free to make additional copies of the Fact Sheet for other school personnel and parents/guardians as needed.
- Give your students the Parent Consent Forms (pdf) to take home at least one week before the scheduled screening date.
- Encourage your students to return the signed Parent Consent Form (pdf), then follow up as needed. As a bonus, the schools with the highest percentage of returned forms will be eligible to receive a special puppet show produced by the Columbia Marionette Theater, Flora and Floppy go to the Dentist.
- For each child who returns a signed positive Parent Consent Form (pdf), please complete the identification information on the Screening Form (pdf), also included in your teacher packet. Identification information will include the child’s name, birth date, gender, race and ethnicity. (You do not need to fill out a Screening Form for children who are not being screened.)
- Please staple the signed positive Parent Consent Form (pdf) to the Screening Form (pdf).
- On the day of the screening, please help with organizing the students as needed.
- After the screening, the screener/healthcare professional will give you a Results Form (pdf) for every child to take home whether they were screened or not
- After the screening, distribute the student incentives contained in your teacher packet to all students whether they were screened or not. Incentives include an educational coloring book and a toothbrush supplied by DentaQuest.
For more information, please email DHEC’s Oral Health staff or call us at (803) 898-0194 .