Shielding Plan Requirements
Shielding Plans Are Required For:
- All diagnostic medical X-ray units installed at new facilities.
- Relocation of a unit within a facility.
- All installations of therapeutic X-ray or accelerator units.
- All installations of X-ray equipment at veterinary offices.
- All industrial X-ray units used in shielded room configurations.
- All dental cephalometric, dental CTs and TMJ units.
- Replacement of an existing X-ray unit at a facility, to include the control, and/or generator.
- Table bone density units (or area survey if prior approval is granted)
- Mobile and portable radiographic units with a permanent cassette holder
- All mobile units that are used in the same room for more than 1 week.
Shielding Plans May Be Required For:
- Modifications to an existing approved installation, such as moving the operator's barrier, or installing vertical cassette holder.
- Changes to an approved plan that may affect the shielding requirements, such as changing the film/screen system used, etc.
- Dental intraoral units that are installed in modular type cabinets where there are not complete barriers between adjacent areas
Shielding Plans Not Required For:
- Dental intraoral units installed in rooms with complete walls
- Most industrial and analytical X-ray equipment
- Peripheral bone density units.
If you aren’t certain a shielding plan is required, please contact us for assistance.
If Shielding Plan is Required, Do This
Prior to construction, you must submit a:
- Radiation shielding plan prepared by a Class III (pdf), Class IV (pdf), Class VII (pdf), or Class IX (pdf) registered vendor
- DHEC’s Shielding Plan Review Application Form (pdf), completed
- Shielding plan review fee of $62.50.
Once DHEC receives all three, we will:
- Review the architectural blueprint
- Analyze the type and number of X-rays that will be performed
- Determine the room and surrounding area occupancy rate.
Once your equipment is installed, you must submit "as-built" drawings and the area survey (if applicable) to DHEC.
Shielding Design: Regulatory Guidelines
Consult our Shielding Design Regulatory Guidelines (pdf) for clarification on South Carolina’s requirements.
For more information, please contact us at (803) 545-4400.