S.C. DHEC's Region 7 APC Center
The South Carolina Department of Health & Environmental Control's (SCDHEC) Region 7 covers three counties in the coastal area around Charleston with a population of 600,000.
In October 2009, we were awarded an Advanced Practice Center grant for public health emergency preparedness. In partnership with the University of South Carolina's Center for Public Health Preparedness, the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) and the Charleston County Sheriff's Office, Region 7 led the development, implementation, and evaluation of the each of the toolkit parts.
Meet Our Team
- Ann Sports is the Community Liaison for Bioterrorism Preparedness and Emergency Response Coordination for S.C. DHEC Region 7. She serves as the Program Manager for the grant and coordinates with the APC Team to maintain time lines of grant deliverables. She serves as the primary contact with NACCHO on all grant issues. Ann has been with the agency for 22 years.
- Dr. John Simkovich, Health Director for S.C. DHEC Region 7, has been with the agency for 14 years. He is assisting with the development of the Hospital Surge Security Plan Assessments and field-testing of the assessments at three hospitals. He is also a consultant in the development of materials for the Joint Law Enforcement and Healthcare Partnership Workshop and Security-Based Tabletop Exercise.
- Raymond Barteet has been with S.C. DHEC Region 7 for 13 years. He is our Director of Public Health Preparedness. He is assisting with the development of the POD Site Security and Traffic Management Assessment, the Hospital Security Assessments, the Law Enforcement and Healthcare Workshop, and the Security-Based Tabletop Exercise.
- Dana Millet has been in public health for 15 years and is the Director of Clinic Services for S.C. DHEC Region 7. She is assisting with the development of the POD Site Security and Traffic Management Plan Template and field-testing of the assessment at six POD locations.
- Dennis Thompson is the Director of Administration for S.C. DHEC Region 7. He manages the financial component of the grant. This includes maintaining budget and establishing contractual agreement with contracting partners. Dennis has been with S.C. DHEC since 1996.
- Staff with the University of South Carolina’s Center for Public Health Preparedness (CPHP), Jane Richter, Joselyn Burdine, and Karen Pendleton, is the team academic partner. They will develop and implement the overall project evaluation. They will also provide consultation, planning and logistics for the development and planning of the Joint Law Enforcement and Healthcare Partnership Workshop and the Security Based Tabletop Exercise.
- Bobby Brown, a Lieutenant with the S.C. Law Enforcement Department (SLED), is assisting with the development of the assessments, the Security-Based Tabletop Exercise and the coordination of the Healthcare & Law Enforcement Partnership Group. He will also provide consultation during the field-testing of the assessments.
- Jim Woods, a Captain with the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office, is assisting with the development of the assessments and will provide coordination of the jurisdictional law enforcement agencies for field-testing of the assessments.
- Linda Pranger is the Public Information Director for S.C. DHEC Region 7 and has been with the agency over 11 years. She is developing and coordinating the communication and marketing plan for the toolkit developed by this APC project, as well as website development and maintenance.
- Donna Lowe provides administrative support functions for the team. Donna has been with S.C. DHEC Region 7 for 25 years.
- Robb Betterton, IT consultant, provides application design and support. This includes development of the assessments and software development.