Common Illnesses That Can Be Avoided
The world around us is full of potential risk. Accidents occur daily. Foreign travel means exposure to conditions unlike those found in the United States. Unprotected sex contributes greatly to the spread of contagious diseases.
Many of the illnesses and injuries we face are preventable. Even when we can't completely prevent them, there are steps we can take to greatly reduce the risk of acquiring one. And the preventive actions we can take are really just a matter of good, basic hygiene and good, basic safety measures:
- Wash your hands often. Be sure to wash your hands before eating and after using a bathroom
- Wash fruits and vegetables before eating
- Abstain from sex or use a condom correctly and consistently
- Use insect repellant and eliminate sources of standing water around your home
- Get vaccinated. If travelling to foreign countries, you may need additional vaccinations.
- Don't do drugs. Especially, don't do drugs intravenously
- Wear sunscreen
- Don't smoke or use chewing tobacco
These are just a few ways to avoid disease and injury. For more tips on preventing some common illness, just refer to the specific topic.