Environmental Guidance Documents
Guidance documents are published to further clarify regulations and to assist in implementation of environmental regulations, and to encourage compliance with environmental requirements.
- Air Quality (Asbestos, Compliance, Emissions Inventory, Modeling, Permitting, Source Evaluation)
- Environmental Laboratories
- Land and Waste Management (Emergency Response, Hazardous Waste Management, Mining, Radioactive Waste Management, Recycling, Solid Waste Management)
- Water (Drinking Water, Wastewater, Groundwater, Agricultural Facilities, Storm Water, Dams and Reservoirs Safety, Wetlands, Recreational Waters)
- Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs)
Bureau of Air Quality
All Guidance Documents for the Bureau of Air Quality (BAQ) are in pdf format.
- 112(r) Guidance Documents, Chemical Accident Prevention Provisions
- AIRS Facility Subsystem Source Classification Codes and Emission Factor Listing for Criteria Air Pollutants, (EPA 450/4-90-003, March 1990)
Formerly the primary emission factor tool for emission estimation, but has been largely replaced by the FIRE system described below. It is still sometimes used to locate Source Classification Codes (SCC) for manufacturing processes more quickly.
- Asbestos Regulatory Determinations
- Emergency Planning & Community Right-to-know Act Section 302
- Emission Factors, AP-42, Volume 1, 5th Edition (U.S. EPA)
Serves as the standard reference manual describing air pollutant emission generating activities, estimations of emissions related to activity levels, control methods and efficiencies, and default values when actual data are not available. Copy available for review.
- Emission Inventory Section Procedure Manual (WORKING DRAFT)
Documents emission estimation methodologies, quality control/quality assurance and federal data reporting. Emission estimation methodologies are incorporated by reference from Emission Inventory Improvement Program (EIIP) Preferred Methods documents. These technical documents are available athttp://www.epa.gov/ttn/chief/eiip/techreport/index.html
- Enhanced Air Burner Utilization Guidelines (7/2002) (14KB)
- Factor Information Retrieval System (FIRE)
A software package that contains the most recent emission factor information available from EPA.
- Firefighter Training Site Exemption Guidance Document (08/2009) (44KB)
- Fuel Oil (#4) Maximum % Sulfur Usage, Letter from EPA regarding (11/28/1995) (318KB)
Describes the percentage of sulfur to use when making potential emissions determinations for #4 oil, copy available for review.
- Guidance For Fuel Oil Certifications (8/12/2004) (63KB)
- Leak Detection and Repair (LDAR) Guidelines (90KB)
- Modeling Guidelines, Air Quality (401KB)
Provides guidance for preparing an Air Dispersion Modeling Analysis and for complying with Regulation 62.5, Standard No. 8.
Bureau of Land and Waste Management
- Instructions for Preparation of Applications for Radioactive Material License, DHEC, February 1992.
- A Guide for Preparation of Applications for Medical Programs, DHEC, 1994.
- A Guide for the Preparation of Applications for a Type-A Radioactive Material License of Broad Scope, DHEC, 1994.
- Safe Handling Guide for Iodine 131 at Medical Institutions, DHEC, 1994.
- Guidelines for Bioassay, Requirements for Iodine 125 and Iodine 131, DHEC, September 16, 1982.
- A Guide for Preparation of Applications for the Use of Bone Mineral Analyzers, DHEC, 1994.
- Supplemental Information to be Included with Applications for the Use of Gamma Irradiators, DHEC, 1994.
- A Guide for Preparation of Radioactive Material Applications for the Use of Sealed Sources in Portable and Semi-Portable Gauging Devices, DHEC, 1994.
- A Guide for Preparation of Application for Laboratory Use of Radioactive Material, DHEC, January 1992.
- A Guide for Preparation of Applications for the Use of Lixiscopes, DHEC, 1994.
- A Guide for the Preparation of Licensing Applications for Interim Low-Level Radioactive Material Waste Storage Facilities, DHEC, December 1991.
- Criteria and Requirements for Licensing Commercial Decontamination Laundries, DHEC, September 1982.
- Guidelines for the Safe Handling of Phosphorous - 32 in the Laboratory, DHEC, 1994.
- A Guide for the Preparation of a License Application to Utilize Sealed Sources and Devices for Industrial Radiography, DHEC, 1994.
- Supplemental Information to be Included with Applications for Subcritical Assemblies, DHEC, 1994.
- Teletherapy Programs, DHEC, 1994.
- Guidelines for Bioassay - Requirements for Tritium, DHEC, November 13, 1989.
- A Guide for Preparation of Radioactive Material Applications for the Use of Sealed Sources In Well Logging Operations, DHEC, 1994.
- A Guide for Preparation of Radioactive Material Applications for the Use of Sealed Sources in Fixed Gauging Devices, DHEC, 1994.
- Standard Format and Content of an Application for Health and Safety Review and Registration of Sealed Sources Containing Radioactive Material, DHEC, 1994.
- A Guide for Preparation of Applications for Licenses for the Use of Radioactive Materials in Leak Testing Services, DHEC, February 1992.
- A Guide for Preparation of Applications for Licenses for the Use of Radioactive Materials in Servicing Pre-Registered Gauges, Measuring Devices, and Sealed Sources Used in Such Devices, DHEC, July 1, 1985.
- A Guide for Preparation of Applications for The Use of Sealed Sources In Gas Chromatography Devices and X-Ray Fluorescence Analyzers, DHEC, January 1992.
- A Guide for Preparation of Applications for the Use of Radioactive Materials in Calibrating Radiation Survey and Monitoring Instruments, DHEC, January 1992.
- Uniform Enforcement Policy, DHEC Board, 1991.
- Memorandum: Revised Petroleum Contaminated Soil Guidance Document, DHEC, May 1992.
- Memorandum: Sediment Basins and Leachate Systems of Landfills, DHEC, August 9,1991.....
- Best Management Practices (BMP) recommended to mitigate potential impacts from mining, S.C. Land Resources Commission, June 1983. Such potential impacts related to mining are hydrologic modification, erosion and sedimentation, water quality, fish and wildlife disturbances, and public safety and nuisances.
- Structural practices to control various forms of pollution from typical mining operations, S.C. Land Resources Commission, June 1983.Emphasis is placed on describing the uses of a particular practice and presenting generalized design specifications.
- Safety features for protecting the general public and property adjacent to mining operations, S.C. Land Resources Commission, June 1983.
- Reclamation practices utilized to achieve post mining land uses, S.C. Land Resources Commission, June 1983.
- Post Mine Land Use, S.C. Land Resources Commission, June 1983. Presents a variety of land uses for reclaiming disturbed lands and returning them to a useful purpose. Such land uses include ponds and lakes, grasslands, woodlands, recreational sites and commercial development.
- Example of a Mine Operating Permit, S.C. Land Resources Commission, June 1983.
- Internal document used to review Applications for Mine Operating Permits, S.C. Land Resources Commission, June 1989.
- Letter from the S.C. Department of Archives and History, S.C. Department of Archives and History, June 1992. A request for mining operators to notify the S.C. Dept. of Archives and History if historical or archaeological material, fifty years or greater in age, is discovered in a mining operation.
- Compliance Monitoring Inspection Checklist for Interim Status Standards Facilities, DHEC, August 30, 1996.
- Compliance Monitoring Inspection Checklist for Over 1000 KG Per Month Generators, DHEC, August 30, 1996.
- Compliance Monitoring Inspection Checklist for 100 - 1000 KG Per Month Generators, DHEC, August 30, 1996.
- Compliance Monitoring Inspection Checklist for Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators, DHEC, August 30, 1996.
- Compliance Monitoring Inspection Checklist for Transporters and Miscellaneous Categories, DHEC, August 30, 1996.
- Commercial Facility Inspection Program Detailed Protocol for Warning Notice, DHEC, January 1994.
- RCRA Inspection Protocol, DHEC, July 1993.
- Inspection Checklist Protocol, DHEC, October 1,1996.
- Revised Protocol for Incineration Fee, DHEC, December 1993.
- South Carolina Small Quantity Generator Manual, DHEC, October 1993.
- Permitted Facilities Checklist, DHEC, April 1989.
- Draft Civil Penalty Assessment Procedure, DHEC, October 1994.
- RCRA Enforcement Response Policy, EPA, April 1996.
- RCRA Civil Penalty Policy, EPA, October 1990.
- Quality Assurance Program Plan, DHEC, 2013
- SUPERB Account Allowable Costs, DHEC, May 2014 Document provides list of allowable costs from the State Underground Petroleum Response Bank Account for standardized scopes of work and allowable assessment costs per component as defined.
- Analytical Methodology for Groundwater and Soil Assessment, DHEC, August 2005 Document outlines the proper sampling and laboratory methods for environmental samples with emphasis on petroleum constituents.
- Underground Storage Tank Assessment Guidelines for Permanent Closure and Change-In-Service, DHEC, February 2006 Document outlines owner and operator responsibilities for meeting subpart G requirements of the SC UST Control regulations, "Out of Service UST Systems and Closure" and report format.
Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs)
Bureau of Water
Back to top
Staff Phone, Email Info | DHEC Locations | Organizational Charts | Take Our Survey