Skip to content

How To Apply For WIC

If you are interested in applying for WIC, contact your local health department.
Translation services are available in all languages.

At the time of your appointment you will need to bring in the information listed in the 4-Steps to WIC.

Who Should I Bring To The Appointment?

Please bring the family members applying for WIC Services to the appointment. (It may be you, your child and/or your infant.) If the appointment is for a child, only a parent or legal caretaker who lives with the child can bring the child and complete the paperwork.

Proof Of Identity

You must bring at least one (1) form of identification (ID) for yourself and one (1) form of ID for your infant or child who is applying for WIC.

IDs that WIC will accept are as follows:

The list below is for women applying and parents or caretakers.
Driver’s License Valid ID card with photo
Current bill with name on it Current Insurance card/policy
Active Medicaid (card or notice of Eligibility) Valid Passport
U.S. Military Identification Valid Social Security Card
Marriage License Current school ID or record
Voter Registration Card S.C. State ID with Photo
Recent Paycheck/stub Beginner’s Permit
Current SC WIC ID card (must be currently participating in Program)
The list below is for your infant and/or child
Birth Certificate Valid Social Security Card
Foster Child placement letter/notice School ID or record
Active SC Medicaid (or Notice of Eligibility) Infant’s Hospital ID Bracelet
Hospital Birth Card (Crib card) Current SC WIC ID Card
Hospital Foot Print Card with name

Proof Of Residency

You must bring in one (1) item that proves where you live. The item must show your street address. (No P.O. Box numbers).

Some of the proofs that WIC will accept are as follows:

South Carolina Driver’s License Car Registration
Bank statement WIC Appointment Letter (with street address)
Mortgage or Rental Agreement Valid ID card with Photo
Benefactor Letter (from a reliable third party such as a social worker, landlord, etc.) Paystub/LES with address
Recent Bill Voter Registration Card
School record South Carolina Beginner’s Permit
Tax documentation

Proof of Income

You must bring in proof of all income for everyone living in your household.

Some of the proofs that WIC will accept are as follows:

Active Medicaid card or Notice of Eligibility
SNAP notice of eligibility (AN EBT card is NOT acceptable proof)
TANF Notice of Eligibility
Most recent Pay Stub
Signed statement (to include the name of company, address, and telephone number) from employer indicating gross earning for a specific time period (weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly)
Regular cash contributions: signed/dated letter from the person (not living in the household) who regularly contributes income to the household
W-2 forms or income tax return for the most recent calendar year
Unemployment letter/notice or Worker’s Compensation letter
Recent Leave and Earning statement (LES) for military personnel
Foster child placement letter/foster parent award letter with amount received for foster care
Court order or divorce decree showing alimony and/or child support
Self-employment – Recent 1040 ES quarterly tax form, or company account books (records), or 1040 form for the past year.

For more information, contact one of DHEC's local public health departments. See a brief description of the work performed by our WIC program.