Skip to content
Public Health History

South Carolina Public Health Buildings

Robert Mills architectural Drawing

Robert Mills architectural drawing, Library of Congress
Reflections of the past are all around us. Health Services’ central offices are housed in the historic Robert Mills Building. The building was originally designed as an ‘Asylum for lunatic persons’ by architect Robert Mills. The cornerstone was laid on July 22, 1822 and the first patient was admitted in 1828.

Robert Mills architectural Drawing

Robert Mills architectural drawing, Library of Congress
It was the sixth state supported asylum in the United States.

Robert Mills Building

Robert Mills Building, Library of Congress
The Mills Building has been the setting for a long, proud history of public service and caring.

Robert Mills Building

Robert Mills Building, Library of Congress

Michael D. Jarrett Building

The Michael D. Jarrett Building
A recent addition to the Mills Building. Mr. Jarrett was Commissioner from 1986 until his death in 1992. He is remembered as a leader in public health, with great vision, courage and commitment to public service.

The Williams Building

The Williams Building
This a mental health facility named for Dr. Fred Williams. Dr. Williams served from 1908 to 1911 as the first full-time Health Officer hired by the State Board of Health. He went on to have a distinguished career as the State Director of Mental Health.

The Sims Building

The Sims Building
Houses the Department of Health and Environmental Control headquarters. The building is named for Dr. James Marion Sims.

The Aycock Building

The Aycock Building
Part of the Sims-Aycock complex. The Aycock building was built in 1974 and named for State Representative R.J. Aycock, chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee. At that time, his son, Dr. Kenneth Aycock, was the Commissioner of the Department of Health and Environmental Control. Dr. Aycock served as Commissioner from 1967 to 1978.

Peoples Auditorium

Peeples Auditorium in the Sims-Aycock complex
Named for Dr. George Peeples, State Health Officer from 1954 to 1967.

Hayne Building

Hayne Building
Home of the public health laboratory. Dr. James A. Hayne was one of the outstanding figures in public health in South Carolina. He served as the State Health officer from 1911 to 1944, and built the basic framework for public health in the state.