FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 22, 2011
Blue Ribbon Committee on Shoreline Management set for first meeting
CHARLESTON, S.C. – South Carolina’s Blue Ribbon Committee on Shoreline Management will meet for the first time on March 29 at 9 a.m. at the state Department of Natural Resources Board Room in Columbia, the state Department of Health and Environmental Control announced today.
“This committee represents our state’s commitment to address challenges, leverage opportunities and improve the lives and well-being of our citizens, communities and natural environment,” DHEC Commissioner Earl Hunter said.
“Explosive population growth, development and significant shoreline movement have dramatically impacted our coast,” Hunter said. “These changes are putting a strain on our resources, increasing our vulnerability to natural hazards and compromising our shared coastal legacy.”
Hunter said the DHEC Board has charged the Blue Ribbon Committee to consider the findings of the DHEC Shoreline Change Advisory Committee and develop specific regulatory recommendations to enhance the efficient management of coastal resources, improve coastal planning, and prepare South Carolina for emerging challenges and economic opportunities for the state’s beaches and estuarine shorelines.
Appointed by the DHEC Board in October 2010, the Blue Ribbon Committee on Shoreline Management is comprised of 16 members who represent a broad range of interests. Committee members include:
- Paul Campbell, Jr. – S.C. Senate Dist. 44, Berkeley County
- Raymond Cleary, III – S.C. Senate Dist. 34, Charleston, Georgetown and Horry counties
- Clementa Pinckney – S.C. Senate Dist. 45, Beaufort, Charleston, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper counties
- Tracy Edge – S.C. House Dist. 104, Horry County
- William Herbkersman – S.C. House Dist. 118, Beaufort County
- Joseph Riley, Jr. – Mayor, City of Charleston
- Thomas Peeples – Former Mayor, Town of Hilton Head Island
- William Otis, Jr. – Mayor, Town of Pawleys Island
Development/Business/Real Estate Professionals
- Nick Kremydas – CEO, S.C. Association of Realtors
- William “Wes” Jones, Jr. – Jones, Simpson and Newton, PA - Hilton Head Island
- R. Mac Burdette – Executive Director, Patriots Point Development Authority
- Elizabeth Hagood – Interim Executive Director, Lowcountry Open Land Trust
- Robert Perry – S.C. Department of Natural Resources
- Robert Young – Western Carolina University, Program for the Study of Developed Shorelines
- Josh Eagle – University of South Carolina, School of Law
- Terry Richardson – Richardson, Patrick, Westbrook and Brickman, LLC
Hunter said Mr. William “Wes” Jones, Jr. will serve as the committee’s chairman. The committee plans to meet monthly for about a year.
More information on the committee is available on DHEC’s website at: http://www.scdhec.gov/environment/ocrm/blue_ribbon.htm.
Note to reporters and editors: Physical address for meeting location is S.C. Department of Natural Resources Board Room, Rembert C. Dennis Building, 1000 Assembly Street, Columbia. The meeting is scheduled to conclude at 12:30 p.m.
For more information:
Dan Burger – (843) 953-0251
Email – email@example.com